• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R55E in 96 Explorer w/4.0 Low pressure in Tranny? Need pump info

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just bought a 96 Explorer with what appears to be a well cared for 4.0 engine. The transmission shifter is definitely out of adjustment but I think I've found the cure for that in the shift linkage adjustment in an old Haynes manual, but I've yet to put it on stands(probly in the next few days). Reverse engages appx where Neutral should be, and Drive much farther around.
The fluid looks relatively clean, no burnt smells or visible contaminants.

I've read a lot of threads the last few days about low pressure shifting issues and believe that to be the problem. It takes a bit to get it to grab on, and in reverse is the worse, but with some rpm's it will take hold. I'm not yet certain which gears it's in(maybe 1st-2nd, may be 2nd to 3rd) when I first can identify a shift, but it must reach relative high rpm's (near 3000) to do it. There doesn't seem to be any slipping, just slow to shift.

So far I've got a filter kit and some fluid, but in my reads I've seen a lot about pumps being a low pressure issue.

Are those pumps accessable from the underside? Which one/s should I address? Are there other things can be done while the pan is off to improve its operation?

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your first problem is the shift indicator adjustment. I'd fix that, tighten the column tube, and adjust the range sensor and cable before going any further. Might just be all out of whack causing the shifting issues.

Secondly, the pump can only be serviced via removing the entire transmission. It's at the front of the trans where the torque convert slides in. And if your replacing a pump you might as well rebuild the damn thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals