• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd to 2wd swap 90 bronco II

menace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1990 Bronco 2, its 4wd now and i want to swap it over to 2wd, what all do i have to do to do this, im pretty knowledgeable about my 2wd ranger front suspension, but im just wanting to know if anyone has any info on swapping 4wd to 2wd? my 4wd doesnt work, and the axle bearings are shot, so i want to change it over to 2wd and lower it for better handling... thanks

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Well Best that I would suggest. Would be to do a front clip. Several ways of going about this.

You can swap in a mustang II front suspension, pricy but if its done right well worth the money... depending on your project and direction you want to go.

There is the option of clipping in an I beam front suspension, or a newer 98-up front control arm suspension in.

And I know a lot of the guys who "upgrade" they usually do a Toyota front clip.

Now Like I said before depending on the route your project is going, is how I would figure out what I would want to do.

Personally I like the 98-up option... Only because I have dealt with this suspension on my 05.

linkandcuff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 9c1 capric
Transmission
Automatic
what about setting it up as if it was a stock 2wd bronco II or ranger??...can u just swap out the cross member and start bolting in the stock 2wd suspension?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
you don't even need to swap the x member just bolt the i beams up

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
also 2wd bronco2's came with a diffrent 2wd beam, the beam has a wider web than the ranger's, same with the explorer came with the wider web 2wd.

just some food for thought.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I do not see why it would not work how ever I have yet to deal with the I beam suspension just yet. I do however plan on working with on here shortly.

But as for swapping the suspension parts, I would sugest getting some mesurement and off to the junk yard you can go...

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The Bronco II 2wd and 4wd share the same engine cross member. If you do the opposite of the 4wd swap and go to 2wd then you will be good to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals