• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 and Dome Light electrical issues

Dowaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 & 1989
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 1998, 4x4, 5 speed ranger a couple of months ago and the 4x4 is intermittent, it'll work for a few seconds if I disconnect and reconnect the battery, and it will randomly start working as I'm driving down the road, it is linked to the dome light somehow because whenever it works the dome light works and when it quits so does the dome light, any and all help is appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1998 to 2000 Rangers the GEM(generic electronic module) controls the 4x4 and dome light(when opening the door), also sets speedometer speed in these 3 years

The dimmer wheel should also turn on the dome light via a different circuit so try that to see if it works

The GEM is the Body Computer, it controls wiper/washer, power locks and windows, "door ajar light", dome light and 4x4 system
It is located behind the Radio in the dash

Do the 4WD lights ever Flash when you select 4high or 2WD?

Dowaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 & 1989
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
the dimmer switch doesn't turn it on, i also checked all the fuses

the 4x4 never flashes it either works or doesn't, now sometimes the windshield wipers don't work but that seems to be separate from the problem as they will work when the 4x4/dome light wont

i did pull the gem and split the clamshell but i didnt see any obvious signs of failure

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a relay box above gas pedal area, has flasher and a few other relays, and the interior light relay

The power from fuse 26 goes thru this relay
When relay is OPEN(off) the dimmer wheel can send dome light power thru the relay
When GEM activates this relay, closed(on), then power passes to dome light

Maybe relay is the issue

Other than the GEM there is no other connection between dome light and 4WD system

As mentioned above (turn signal)Flasher is in the Relay Box, maybe be a problem with that box

This is not labelled 1998 Relay box layout but might be: https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/222593/original.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals