• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 works but Dash Indicator light doesnt work

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
1998 3.0
Ford Ranger XLT
extended Cab automatic transmission auto TC

I changed my electric motor switch
I tested the plug for ohms , it has current .

I checked my 4x4 2wd/ 4hi / 4lo switch, it appears to be lit and working.

I took my dash cluster completely out and changed the bulbs. I tested them multiple times. My overdive off bulb worked, but when I changed the bulb it stopped working. I realized the pcb paper was warped a tiny bit so I taped it down and got the Overdrive off indicator to work again .

my 4x4 dash lights wont turn on and wont flash when turning the engine on. I checked for cut wires and dont see any cut. I pulled all fuses in the side panel and theyre fine .

What I have not checked:
relays ( is it possible for half of my dash indicators to work and others not with a bad relay?)

Is this possibly a drl control ? I am confused WHY my 4wd lights arent working ! Its frustrating because it should be simple .

I got under my truck and I see that the front drive shaft was in gear and working when I switched to 4lo / 1st gear and crawled forward. I know the 4wd is working , but please someone lead me the right direction to fixing this.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your 4wd system is controlled by the GEM module. You have a 4wd "control module" and a "shift relay" but they are just dumb relays. The brains are in the GEM. The GEM also controls those lights. The GEM grounds those certain wires to turn the lights on and off. If you could find these wires and ground them, you could test the lights. I will attach a diagram that shows the lights and the wires to the GEM.

Attachments

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Your 4wd system is controlled by the GEM module. You have a 4wd "control module" and a "shift relay" but they are just dumb relays. The brains are in the GEM. The GEM also controls those lights. The GEM grounds those certain wires to turn the lights on and off. If you could find these wires and ground them, you could test the lights. I will attach a diagram that shows the lights and the wires to the GEM.
I have narrowed my diagnostic down between the GEM and the Cluster , a switch or relay. My 4wd engages and disengages properly

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you need help reading the diagram? To some people they are like Greek.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I can read it , its simple for me. I already tested my Transfer Case motor wires , that was shorted. But it is not the reason my indicators arent working

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The GEM controls the 4x4. The GEM takes commands from the switches, and then activates the motor to put it in the proper mode the switches are commanding it. Along with this, it grounds the proper wire going to the cluster to turn the proper indicator on. All you have to do is find these wires on the GEM, ground the wire temporarily and see if the light comes on.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
The GEM controls the 4x4. The GEM takes commands from the switches, and then activates the motor to put it in the proper mode the switches are commanding it. Along with this, it grounds the proper wire going to the cluster to turn the proper indicator on. All you have to do is find these wires on the GEM, ground the wire temporarily and see if the light comes on.
As you just stated , I have narrowed it down to the circuit between pin 14 and pin 15 of the cluster , going to the GEM , or the Grey and LT Blue wire from the switch to the GEM. Im also wondering if the bypassed brown electric clutch wire ( I use manual lockers) is acting as a ground or an indicator through amps + other wire amps

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
How do you suggest I ground a wire to test it?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was getting ready to make a suggestion as to how to ground the wires, till I looked at the diagram above more closely. The diagram shows the power to the indicator lights comes from the headlight switch? Is that correct? Your 4x4 indicators only work when the headlight switch is on? That doesn't seem right to me. They do make mistakes in their diagrams.

P.S. Wait a minute. Looked at it again, looks like it gets 12v when the headlight switch is off. I am confused now. Maybe you had better check for 12v on that orange/black going to the cluster if you haven't already.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I was getting ready to make a suggestion as to how to ground the wires, till I looked at the diagram above more closely. The diagram shows the power to the indicator lights comes from the headlight switch? Is that correct? Your 4x4 indicators only work when the headlight switch is on? That doesn't seem right to me. They do make mistakes in their diagrams.

P.S. Wait a minute. Looked at it again, looks like it gets 12v when the headlight switch is off. I am confused now. Maybe you had better check for 12v on that orange/black going to the cluster if you haven't already.
I dont know if the headlight switch controls the indicators... I know there is a very rare and expensive drl module , but the ribbon to the transmission/ and the transfer case is connected to the dash bulb circuits ... not the headlight switch . the ribbon connector then goes to the gem.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
just to be clear... You HAVE checked the bulb, right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals