• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Conversion for my 1990 Ranger XLT 2WD

Aoresteen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
After going back & forth for the last 18 months, I finally decided to yank the 2.9L & the A4LD and go with a 5.0L swap. I need to find an engine & transmission. I'm thinking about a 1995 F150 5.0L with the 4R70W transmission as the replacements.

I will have the transmission rebuilt and the engine overhauled, then installed. Since my Ranger is a 1990 I do not have any issues with emissions here in GA. I will also upgrade the rear brakes to disc and put bigger brakes on up front. I plan to keep the EFI on the 5.0L. The rear end has already been done - it's an 8.8" with 373 gears. The truck has a 4" suspension lift.

What problems will I encounter with this swap? Are headers a problem installing? Should I go with a one-piece drive shaft?

Thanks!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I like the Hedman 88400 headers I used on my 87 Ranger. They fit well. Others like the tri-y style.

If your truck is an extended cab then I'd try to go to a single piece driveshaft if I could..

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you can find a T bird or Explorer donor they are supposed to have a more compact front drive system. I put a 95 F150 351 into my 93 with Fox Mustang front accessory drive and the radiator will end up in the core support to make room for a fan.

Aoresteen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
If you can find a T bird or Explorer donor they are supposed to have a more compact front drive system. ......

Thanks! What years did they come with the 4R70W transmission?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals