• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap won t start

Joebarker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put a 01 explorer 5L in my 01 ranger I used the wire harness from expo the radio instrument cluster pats module steering column and ECM all from expo. The truck will crank over but will not start. The theft light was blinking normally. At first then it started to. Blink fast when I tried to start truck. If I turn key off it would blink slow after a hour of trying e net search I tried it again theft light blinked fast then would blink a 1. 6 code and shut off. Truck still won t start. Now the light will not come on at all all fuses are good relays are good. Fuel at fuel rail and it will start with the key if I spray starting fluid into airbox the injectors have 12votts on red wire but have no ground when cranking engine over. What is going on. Email me back anyone at joebarker1976@gmail.com PLEASE

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Fast blinking Theft light means PATS(passive anti-theft system) has turned off fuel injectors and fuel pump, so no start.
It will stop flashing rapidly after a few attempts to start it and you have to wait 20 minutes or so before you can try it again, it is in protection mode since it thinks someone is attempting to steal it.
You can also disconnect both battery cables and touch the cables together for a few second and then reinstall cables, that usually clears theft reset.

'01 Explorer had Type B PATS so will have a separate PATS Module above glove box that needs to be installed in the Ranger

'01 Ranger had Type E PATS, so no PATS module, PATS is in the computer.

PATS module has the unique ignition Key numbers that came with the Explorer when new, so only those keys can be used to pass the PATS test and allow fuel system to start.

Around the ignition key slot is a ring, a wand, it reads the unique number of the PATS key that is being used, it uses a radio signal.

If you have the PATS module installed then try this, I assume it is installed or you wouldn't get flashing light just no start.

Take Ranger key and cover the handle(black plastic) with tin foil, to block its number from the wand, getting 2 numbers would cause a fail.
Place Explorer PATS key next to the ignition key slot, as close as possible, and then use Ranger key to turn it on, you don't have to try and start it, just turn key to RUN, if light doesn't flash rapidly then you should be able to start engine.

PATS test is only when key is turned on, correct PATS key is not needed when driving, only after shutting key off and then back on will it need to pass the PATS test again.

If this works then you can see if you can swap ignition key cylinders to use explorer key in the Ranger, or if you can get it started, then drive it to a Locksmith that has Ford PATS software on a laptop, call ahead and ask.
With that software he can plug into the OBD2 port and add your Ranger PATS keys to the Explorer PATS module's memory.
So doors and ignition match.

Always have 3 working PATS keys available, because with 2 working keys you can add a 3rd PATS key yourself, if you have 3 and lose one then you can add another at your leisure

Last edited:

Joebarker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ron D I have the pats module installed and I also changed the hole steering column so the ranger now has the key switch the halo antenna ring pats module ECM radio and instrument cluster the pats light did blink fast for bout a min then it blinked a 1 pause 6 code for a min then it would go out. I tried taking the battery cables off over night did not help when I tried to start it after that the theft light don t come on at all even when key is out of it I did use the wire harness from the explorer but I did cut the harness wiring for the rear truck lights and spliced them into the rangers harness that is under driver seat at that point I had everything working and the theft light would blink normally when key was out of it then it would go solid when trying to start truck did that for three or four start tries then it started blinking fast and blink the. 1. 6 code then then it just stopped lighting up at all also I have a cheapo scan tool and it says connection link error. So the obd 2 plug is not working ether any idea can I put a ECM from a 90. S EFI 302 in it that didn't t have the pats will that make the engine run

Joebarker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Engine swap cranks no start help

Still haven't got ranger to run I put ECM from a 1997 EFI mountaineer in it but still have the same thing as I did with the original ECM from the explorer engine cranks no start. If I use start fluid it fires up I have fuel at the rail power to eec 12v at coil packs new cranksensor no injector pulse also the Hanse manual wire diagram colors don t match my harness bfrom the 2001 explorer parts I used are all. From 01explorer engine trans engine trans wire harnesses dash harness instrument cluster radio and separate pats module and key switch and steering column it would crank and start with starting fluid theft light started blinking so I changed out the eec to a 97 mountaineer still won't fire up what am I missing the mount meet did not have a PATS system in it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The coil, ECM, injectors and fuel pump relay all get power from the EEC/ECM fuse via the EEC relay so that is all working.
Engine starts when adding fuel manually so crank sensor works, it times the spark, and injectors.

No injector Ground(pulse) would at first look like a PATS issue, but I would also think fuel pressure would be 0psi, unless you jumped Fuel Pressure relay at some point to get pressure, no injector pulse and no fuel pump are signs of PATS issue.
Each time you turn on the key you should hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds, it isn't quiet, the hum is very noticeable.
If you are not hearing that then you could very well have a PATS issue, and since injectors are not opening the fuel pressure will stay in the system for months.

The Cam Position Sensor(CPS) is there to fine tune fuel injection, but on some models you will get no injector pulses if it is not working.

Ford switched from 3 wire CPS(Hall effect) to a 2 wire CPS(Variable reluctance-VR) in the late 1990's on Rangers not sure when that happened with explorers.
These two different types of sensors are not interchangeable, there is no "wiring conversion", the signals are completely different.
An ECM is setup/programmed to "understand" 3 wire OR 2 wire CPS signal, so that has to be matched to the ECM.

Which may be why the '97 ECM wouldn't work.

The ECM will have 8 ground wires out to the engine, one for each injector, but it often has 1 ground wire internally it uses for all 8 of these, are all the Ground wires for the ECM hooked up as far as you know?
ECM doesn't share all the Grounds internally.

Do you have or know anyone you could get an OBD2 code reader from?
The ECM can tell you if it is getting a CPS signal or not with a code, and may also tell you why there is no injector pulse.

Last edited:

Joebarker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron for your help I did find the problem I pinched the wire to the dpfe senser and it was shorted out to the intake I have it running good now but the trans will not shift I need to hook the vss sensor up but my hyanse manual is worthless cuz the wires are not the color the manual says and the manual is saying I should have a pink red trace wire at pin 33 on ECM but there is no wire there I do have the grey black trace at pin 58 on ECM that manual says so far all the wire colors have been wrong in that manual for both the ranger and the explorer I got both manuals I know the ranger has a OSs on trans and the expo has a vss on rear end my ranger has a vss sensor on rear end also if I can get wire diagram that is correct for the expo harness I will use the rear end sensor and hope it works I just can't fined a wire diagram for a 01 ranger and a 01 explorer my Ford dealer won t let me look at there shop manuals they said I would have to bring truck in but when I told them it was a v8 swap they said they won t touch it and told me good luck they just being butt holes any ideas would be awesome I have a pink and red trace and a green and yellow trace on the rear end sensor just don t know where to hook them to again thanks for you help

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Here is an '01 Ranger 5R trans wiring diagram
And don't have an '01 Explorer but do have a '99 Mountaineer diagram

Attachments

Joebarker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you so. Much for all the help these diagrams are just what I needed I ll let you know when I get it going and will post all the issue I be had and how I fixed them on a new thread for other guys again thanks a million

jjmcooley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2001 ranger v8 swap

I'm having the same problem, I did a v8 swap the donor was a 98 Explorer, I put the 5.0 into a 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4, I took the Ignition switch from the explorer and added it into the Ranger, I also installed (pats) from the explorer, I followed Nathaniel V Hunter 2001 Ranger 5.0 motor swap wiring diagram, and still wont start,all of my gages are working, The theft light just blinks, motor will not turn over, and can't hear the fuel pump run, can anyone help me out.Thank you.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have always said, the most important thing to a V8 conversion is quality baby clothing.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I have always said, the most important thing to a V8 conversion is quality baby clothing.
I find it to be the right formula for baby. Otherwise you end up with a fussy no-start toddler before you know it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It doesn't matter that I deleted the post that dirtman was referring to, because his posts never make sense anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals