• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 speed down to two gears

Canuck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2007, 2wd, 3 ltr, 5 spd, had the dealer install new clutch and master about a month ago, son was driving today and now has only 2 or three gears, shifter is moving way to far from side to side, guessing something came apart ( yes I will talk to the dealer), just wondering what may have happened, shifter is still attached by the pin under the rubber boot, anyone have this happen.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like something went wrong in the shift rail/fork assembly. That is fairly unrelated to anything that should have been done during clutch work, aside from both parts are in or around the transmission.

Canuck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's what I was was thinking.

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you
The shifter would have had to been removed when they did the clutch. They may have had something to do with it, or didnt notice that a part needed replacing when they did.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The shifter would have had to been removed when they did the clutch. They may have had something to do with it, or didnt notice that a part needed replacing when they did.
The shift lever was removed when doing the clutch. The shift plate, which contains the fork and rail assemblies should not have been. As far as improper installation of the shift lever causing this, that is unlikely. The piece that needs to come off to clear the floor is just the black lever. The nub it sits on, that goes into the plate and engages the forks stays in place. The lever is an all or nothing (literally nothing to even grab onto) proposition.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
...shifter is moving way to far from side to side, guessing something came apart
Maybe the shifter bushings decided to let loose?

It's a very easy fix if so (pull up the boot, remove the small round shifter cover plate and they're right there).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Maybe the shifter bushings decided to let loose?

It's a very easy fix if so (pull up the boot, remove the small round shifter cover plate and they're right there).
That is what I was thinking, I have fixed a couple trucks that were completely missing the bushing, springs, and most of the cover... plus the pins were ground away to nothing. Could move the shifter in huge circles and not find any gear.

Would be awful weird for the shop to have caused this, I bet it is just a coincidence. I had a slave cylinder put in my F150 about 20 years ago and a week later the shifter fell out. My first thought was to blame them but they never touched it and wouldn't have had to anyway as it was an external slave. The retaining nut just came loose, it happens.

Shifter bushing repair kit is $13, FWIW and very easy to do yourself.

Canuck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Problem was the bolt that holds the shifter to the transmission shaft, was installed backwards and allowed the stick to eventually start to pivot, was thinking it was way more serious, young tech just out of school and had not seen it before, good kid actually, so no harm no problem, neighbor actually figured it out because he had done it himself once, probably would have messed that one up myself, life goes on and all is good. Yes I spoke to the service manager and we both had a good laugh over it, no sense causing trouble over a small thing like that, everyone has to learn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals