• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 speed swap - 2.3, 3.0 and 4.0 trasnmission

SkyRaider98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1990 BII with a failed A4LD, I want to eventually swap to a 5 speed. I would like to swap the m5OD from a ranger into it, but I need some info.
Right now my plan is to get a running Ranger to daily for a while until I can get another vehicle to drive while I do the swap.
(never done a trans swap before, plus work keeps me pretty busy, so it will probably be a long process)
Here are my questions:

Does it matter the year of Ranger? I know that they used the M5OD from the early 90s to 2011, but they stopped using the TTB front axle in the mid 90s. Does that make a difference? Will a 5 speed from a non-TTB Ranger present
any problems?

Is there anything different in the trans between the 4.0, 3.0, 2.9 and 2.3? I know that 2.9 and 4.0 share the same bolt pattern. But will a M5 from a 2.3 or 3.0 Ranger bolt up to the 2.9 in my BII?

These are the questions I can think of for now. I'll have a bunch more questions when it comes to actually doing the swap, but like I said, that's down the road.
My main concern right now is getting a Ranger that has all or most of the parts I need.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l used the same Block so their bell housing bolt patterns are the same

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) doesn't have a detachable bell housings, its part of the main case

So an M5R1 from a 2.3l won't bolt to a 2.9l, or 3.0l
And an M5R1 from a 2.9l won't bolt to 2.3l or 3.0l
ect..................
So not mix and match

2.9l M5R1 will bolt to 4.0l and visa versa, that includes the M5OD-R1HD used on the 4.0l SOHC engines

2WD or 4x4 transmissions are also different so that needs to match as well

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I just converted my '90 Bronco II from A4LD to manual, but mine's a 2WD. You will need a 4WD transmission.

If your circumstances allow it (i.e.- how soon that you're needing a daily driver), look hard for an '89 or '90 model 4WD Ranger with the 2.9L like yours. That way you'll have all of the "incidental" parts needed to do it the easiest way, and the right way, from your donor truck- pedals, engine computer, transmission wiring harness, floor plate and boot, and the steering column (or its parts). And, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the 2.9L might have carried over into the 1991 4WD equipped Rangers.

A 4.0L donor would also work, but not quite as well- you can use the larger 4.0 flywheel and clutch, and the 4.0 starter, or buy the 2.9 flywheel and clutch. The engine computer would also be an issue that you'd have to get around.

Good luck!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the later 4.0 has 8 holes in the flywheel as well....so theres stack up differentials with spacers ect....starter..

Kylet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the 2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l used the same Block so their bell housing bolt patterns are the same

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) doesn't have a detachable bell housings, its part of the main case

So an M5R1 from a 2.3l won't bolt to a 2.9l, or 3.0l
And an M5R1 from a 2.9l won't bolt to 2.3l or 3.0l
ect..................
So not mix and match

2.9l M5R1 will bolt to 4.0l and visa versa, that includes the M5OD-R1HD used on the 4.0l SOHC engines

2WD or 4x4 transmissions are also different so that needs to match as well
I have a 4 x 4, 4.0 that I want to swap to a manual transmission is it hard to do and do I need to flash the ECM or anything because my buddy told me you have to trick it into thinking it’s shifting like it still has a auto

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a 4 x 4, 4.0 that I want to swap to a manual transmission is it hard to do and do I need to flash the ECM or anything because my buddy told me you have to trick it into thinking it’s shifting like it still has a auto
There are a million threads on here that show how to do the swap... search around a little and you will find exactly what you need to know.

You do not have to flash anything, an automatic ECM in a manual truck will just throw a couple codes because two shift solenoids on the auto trans are no longer present. Does not affect how it runs but it can affect whether or not you pass emissions, if you have that to deal with.

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are a million threads on here that show how to do the swap... search around a little and you will find exactly what you need to know.

You do not have to flash anything, an automatic ECM in a manual truck will just throw a couple codes because two shift solenoids on the auto trans are no longer present. Does not affect how it runs but it can affect whether or not you pass emissions, if you have that to deal with.
I'm currently Swapping my B2 to a 4.0. I have an auto ECU from the 4.0, but I'm using a manual trans M5OD. Do I need a manual ECU for the codes to go away? Thanks.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I'm currently Swapping my B2 to a 4.0. I have an auto ECU from the 4.0, but I'm using a manual trans M5OD. Do I need a manual ECU for the codes to go away? Thanks.
Yes

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yep

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Do you know if it has to be the same year ECU or would that be an issue as well? Mine is a 94.
I dont know for sure. I would *assume* any 90-94 would work, but dont quote me

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Any 90-94 ECU should work as long as it matches the engine, in this case a 4.0.

The auto ECU will give a persistent high idle and will complain that it doesn’t “see” the transmission, but usually will not illuminate the CEL, it will just have some annoying codes. That is, if I remember right it will not give you a CEL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals