• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

79 F150 rear drum install trouble

danger_ranger05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am replacing both rear drums on my 79 F150, including new hardware and new shoes. I have everything assembled, but when I put the new drum on and torque the wheels, its locked up. Both sides do this, the driverside a little worse than the passenger.

I can turn the tires if I really try, but wouldn't feel good about driving it for fear of the drums burning up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is there any such thing as off-brand drums being the wrong tolerance?

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Look around the back of the drum where it meets the plate and make sure it's not binding. Look all around the hub/tire to make sure nothing is interfering. Sometimes the drum and backing plate hit and bind.
Do the drums spin freely when there is no pressure (torque) on them? If so.. turn the lugs backwards and put them on and tighten little by little to see if it gets harder to turn.

danger_ranger05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I solved the problem.

Even with the adjusters all the way back, and with different brands of drums, it still locked up when the drums were torqued. I even had a few mechanics over and they couldn't even understand what was going on.

So In the end I had to turn down the drums on the lathe, it solved the problem though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals