• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

79 F350 dually 4x4 5.9 Cummins 5spd

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
don't know how to do deisal stuff, would love to have a couple.... and would love my collection to look like yours those things are sweeeeeet.......

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Those are nice rigs, even with a diesel :p

My 78 1 ton has a 400 in it with some work done, ive always been a big block guy, but howcome you decided to mount the body on an 80's chassis?

later,
Dustin

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
don't know how to do deisal stuff, would love to have a couple.... and would love my collection to look like yours those things are sweeeeeet.......
diesels are simple......... fuel and air. more power.... you add more fuel and air. lol.

Frank

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Those are nice rigs, even with a diesel :p

My 78 1 ton has a 400 in it with some work done, ive always been a big block guy, but howcome you decided to mount the body on an 80's chassis?

later,
Dustin
I wanted a 4x4 dually which Ford didn't make untill 84. Plus the sterling rear is stonger than a Dana 60 or Dana 70. Plus, the cummins fits in the newer frame without cutting the crossmember like on a 79-older frame and the newer chassis uses crossover steering which handles much nicer going down the road.

I also a bigblock guy. That black F250 has a 460, the wrecker has a 460, and the grey and silver F250 has a 429. Thats why I used a Cummins, I got tired of 4mpg :D

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
can't wait to see the build up and parts list,,, i'd also love to see any pointers or sites you can direct me to on installiing a 24v cummins in my 78 supercab to replace gas eater 460.... thanks..

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
can't wait to see the build up and parts list,,, i'd also love to see any pointers or sites you can direct me to on installiing a 24v cummins in my 78 supercab to replace gas eater 460.... thanks..
cumminsforum.com
it's the best cummins website on the net.

I'm burgundy bomber over there.

Frank

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep cumminsforum.com They have a section just for swaps. There are a few guys with 5.9s in older Fords on the site. I'm 1ofakind79 on there.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I've had some requests for build photos

Here is the donor truck 89 dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 114K miles had brand new 727 in it PO had a little oops in the snow. I also bought a nv4500/ transfercase, bell, clutch etc from the same guy for $300! It came from a 96 he parted out.

here is the other doner truck 85 F350 4x4 dump POS 351w/ 4spd I chose this truck becuse I wanted a 4x4 for dually which wasn't available untill 84. PA is strick on inspection laws so I didnt want to make a 2wd in to a 4wd. Also being I was swapping a 5.9 I needed to be imission exempt (9,000 GVW-up) and I knew I wanted a dually so this worked nice instead of making a 79 f250 into a dually I am a legal heavy weight class and immison exempt.

after teardown
sold the 727, np 205, doors, gate, seat, both axles fuel tank. Ended up getting the motor for almost free! :shock:

another teardown photo. Sold motor & trans scrapped cab & bed got frame & axles for free!

painting up frame and swapping rear axle. The dump had a chipped ring gear and open carrier plus some broken leafs so I bought another f350 for the posi rear and new rear leafs.

got a set of alum wheels for it at a local junkyard but they didn't come with the lugnuts. I ended up paying $4 per lug nut ouch! Either way they look alot nicer than the rusty steel wheels that were on it.

trying out my new 79 Ford body. It took a couple mods to make it fit but it wasn't too bad.

I chose to put the body on first because I wanted to center the wheel in the wheelwell and get it all bolted down then I could modifey for firewall clearance if needed.

next it was time to start fitment, I used the stock dodge rubber mounts from the 89. I then slotted holes into the large engine crossmenber in the Ford frame and the motor sat right down in level and I didn't have to do anyother mods other than trimming the excess bolt the stuck through the bracket for the tracbar on the rear of the crossmember so I had proper oilpan clearance.

I had to pound the firewall in a little for valve cover clearance it could have been elliminated with a body lift but being this is going to be a work truck I wanted it to be stock height. I then stripped cab a prepped for paint.

Cab was edged in including the firewall. The motor was then painted and put in then the front clip was put back on for the final time.
Everyone always asks why it is CAT yellow.
The motor was supposed to be Cummins Gold but when the paint dryed it turned yellow. We thought it was funny and desided to leave it alone because it would really confuse people when they looked at the motor.

Then it was time for paint.

Time to put it back together

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Putting the chrome, windows, lights, etc on.

I bought some new boxes and some other goodies.

Here is is right after I built the stacks. The stacks are made from heavy wall stainless pipe and all welded together. They give it a nice deep tone and don't sound tinny like some cheap stack kits. Plus even after I drive it for all day they aren't hot enough to burn you if you would touch them getting out of the truck. Also here is the first pic of my new headache reack its from a Chevron tiltbody I had to cut it down a little but it wasn't too bad.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I like it...... can't beat the mighty NV-4500!!!!

those 70psi boosted 4x4 launches on water meth in 3rd got me in trouble though, I advise a cryo'd 3rd gear and at least a bullet proof input shaft (out of the NV-5600).
2001.5 Ext Cab Dually sled puller.... uhm built a little bit.

I highly recommend a south bend dual disk clutch......

I smoked 4 single disc aftermarkets before I wisened up.

Frank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals