• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 from F150 with VSS for '99 Ranger?

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
Hope my title made a little sense. I am in the planning process of a straight axle swap on my '99 XLT/4.0/auto Planning on using a '78 D44 FW, 5.13, and Truetrac in the front. Was originally thinking 9" rear but then realized that I'd lose VSS in stock rear end.

Now my question is, Could I pull an 8.8 out of an F-150 that would have a compatible VSS. I know that I could change transfer cases to gain back a VSS but I really don't want to add that to the list of parts needed.

Will be running 37X12.50R17 so strength of either should be sufficient.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford VSS sensors were all the same signal, AC sine wave, Variable Reluctance sensor.

But not sure on the Tone Wheels number of teeth inside the different rear axles, if both have, for example, 30 teeth, then they would have the same "pulse count" for one axle rotation, if one was 28 and the other 32 then different pulse count per rotation.

So just count the teeth on the Tone Wheels, if they are the same then all is well

'99 Ranger without 4 wheel ABS would use the GEM module to correct VSS for true speed, so worst case would be you would need to have GEM reprogrammed for True speed, which was just tire size normally but could be set for different tone wheel as well.

Your larger tire size would require reprogramming in any case

Last edited:

Mikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In the process of swapping a 2001 f150 8.8 into my 2003 ranger. So far everything plays nice and the tone rings were the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
In the process of swapping a 2001 f150 8.8 into my 2003 ranger. So far everything plays nice and the tone rings were the same.

Thanks for the responses, Mikerider if you don't mind me asking how are you handling the bolt pattern issue for wheels? I know you can get adapters or dual drilled axleshafts, just curious about your plans. BTW what front axle are you using. I'd really like to maintain all my functional systems ABS etc.

Mikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses, Mikerider if you don't mind me asking how are you handling the bolt pattern issue for wheels? I know you can get adapters or dual drilled axleshafts, just curious about your plans. BTW what front axle are you using. I'd really like to maintain all my functional systems ABS etc.

I ordered a set of axle shafts from Dutchman axles in a 5x4.5 pattern they were affordable and maintain my bolt pattern.

Also made a set of brackets to work with mustang disc brakes so I have a solid parking brake too.

Front I am running the stock Dana 35 with 4.56 gears and a torsen diff. CVs are 930inners extended 4" from DBR I'm running a Dixon brothers long travel 4x4 kit up front that's 9" wider then stock.

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
Sounds like an awesome recipe! Thanks again for your input!

Mikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Happy to help, any other questions just let me know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals