• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap problems!!!

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
Heres the story:

Problem #1: I just swapped an explorer 8.8 into my 95 ranger and i bled the breaks when the swap was complete and when i hit the breaks theres hardly any stopping, but when i hit them a second time its a little more firm and if i hit them a third time it is perfect...

Does this mean i didnt get all the air out of the lines or does it have to do with the drum to disk swap when i put the 8.8 in??

Problem #2: I swapped in an explorer 8.8 with 4.88 gears into my ranger and now i have some problems.

In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear nothing seems different but when i get into 4th there is a sound when i let off the gas and coast still in gear. In 5th the sound is always present when in gear accel and decel. If i coast in neutral it goes away.

I am certain i got the pinion angle correct, but if it sounds like i didnt let me know because its my DD and i need to try to correct the problem.

Thanks
-DJ

Last edited:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Did you bleed all 4 brakes starting from rear pass side up to front diver?

ecablarn

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
302 V8, Mild Frame off Restoration still have bodywork
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Leveling 2" Lift
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
My credo
BSME, design, drawing
^^ This. You need to bleed the brakes again it sounds like

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Air in the lines would'nt feel "perfect" - it would feel mushy. Sounds more like you didn't pump out the calipers before you started driving. And your "hardly any stopping" refers to the rears - right? You've got a split brake master cylinder and what you do to the rears doesn't effect the fronts, unless you run all the fluid out.

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
I bled from pass rear to driver rear then pass front then driver front.
I had someone pumping the breaks to get the air out should the "pumper" hold the pedal down when i tighten the bleed valve. or push and let off?

dla--- How would i go about "pumping out the clipers"? And im not sure if its just the rears i would think it is... when i swapped the rear end out a lot of fluid came out one night when i forgot to tilt the nose of the truck down to keep the fluid in the lines. Im not sure how much came out though... The resivour is full and i have tried to bleed the breaks twice now.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bled from pass rear to driver rear then pass front then driver front.
I had someone pumping the breaks to get the air out should the "pumper" hold the pedal down when i tighten the bleed valve. or push and let off?

dla--- How would i go about "pumping out the clipers"? And im not sure if its just the rears i would think it is... when i swapped the rear end out a lot of fluid came out one night when i forgot to tilt the nose of the truck down to keep the fluid in the lines. Im not sure how much came out though... The resivour is full and i have tried to bleed the breaks twice now.
The very first time you apply the brakes, the rear calipers have to fill up. This will cause your peddle to hit the floor and your reservoir level to drop. Once the calipers have filled your peddle will feel firm. You'll need to top off the reservoir. The calipers only need to be "pumped up" once. If you have mushiness in the peddle afterwards, you have air in the system and/or a leak.

When you bleed the system, be generous. Sometimes you can have an air bubble further towards the master cylinder that will require passing a couple oz of fluid to clear.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
When you Bleed the brakes and the person helping pumps the pedal and holds it down, you crack open the bleeder then tighten it back up before they let off the petal.
if they let off the petal before, your getting air back into the system.

best way to do it is to just relax with a 12 pack....open all the bleeders and watch them drain and fill the reservoir when it gets a little low......and just let it drain.
now this is time consuming, but the best method.

i have never had a problem with the pedal pump method, as long as it is done correctly.

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
Alright ill have to give it another shot. I have done it once before and had no problems but i guess i did it right the first time (beginners luck). Thanks for everyones input and help... Ill post back if i get it or not.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Buy one of the Hand Vac Pumps, you can do the whole job by yourself if needed.

Get extra brake fluid and go for it and don’t let the master run too low.
As stated start on the pass’s rear, then the driver’s rear, pass’s front and driver’s front.

luck

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Does it have drums brakes ?

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
no its all disc

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals