• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 302 build

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good, didn't know you had a build thread going.

How does your B&M shifter play with that console?

I have a three speed, I couldn't get it into first or second with that cupholder. I got picked up the more compact single cup cupholder (with the rollup door for the coin thing) and I could get it partway into second.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks !! Its been a long road so far and i see light at the end of the tunnel.

When I made the base for the shifter I did place it forward about 1/2 an inch. it does go all the way to the bottom and will hit 1st gear for the 4 speed auto. However, it is a close call to get it there. the console is built with a wooden base (plywood) and pushed back as far as i could get it into that amp. Very tight but it is going to (just) work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you need more room here is the cupholder I went to.

I had it as far back as I could, had to shim the front up an inch for it to sit level (explorer floor was shaped differently)

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Looks sharp!!!

Time will tell how my console will work. Siting as it is seems ok, however, till it is running and shifting under pressure, then the truth will be known.

The holder that i have in there has 2 switches wired into it, so i hope it will work good. Don't want to be rewiring the stereo again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks sharp!!!
I got tired of no legroom and the shifter interference... it has the bench seat back in it now.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
what type of seats did you place in there that gave you no leg room?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what type of seats did you place in there that gave you no leg room?
Started out with Explorer high backs. Went to Eddie Bauer BII seats (the ones with the pine trees in the back, they are the ones in the picture) and they were better. They both hit the back window.

Std cab buckets are not too bad (tried them in JY's) but I haven't found a nice set of tan ones yet.

Also wanting a regular first gen Ranger console which is harder to find than a nice set of tan buckets. :icon_bounceblue:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I can give a small update with a in progress pic. Was at the shop friday and finally today got the pics off the phone to show. Fellow doing the work on the headers was able to source out a set of BBK stainless steel longs for the pipes. He took the easiest way out for this and I said ya do it. Instead of going from scratch the BBK's will work to a small extent. so on the driver side he has it positioned onto the head and had the bottoms of all 4 pipes cut off. Now he will be mapping out the bottom angles and snaking the pipes between the boxed frame and the transmission .... i can't wait to see this done.. here are 2 pics so far....

cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
friday I was at the shop to see the progress... drivers side is complete with the steering shaft in and all... didn't take a camera with me... arrgh sorry .... looks great...

here is what angie has been keeping busy with last couple days... these are darker than the photos show... the back of the seats.

cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Angie has the passenger side finished... this will be nice when both are done and loaded into the truck. I can't wait.

cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Went and checked on the work for the pipes today, took these 2 pics of the how the headers are coming along. The steering shaft just makes it. there was no way the original would have fit as the picture shows. the drivers side is finished to the collector, the passenger is close one last pipe to go.

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Nice work!

I saw this a long time ago but haven't checked in since...:)

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Mark :)

The project has been stalled last couple months. the frame and cab are still sitting at the shop getting the exhaust done. He has the headers built, now doing the pipes, crossover muffler and the tails. taking him longer than expected. I was hoping to have it back a month ago to finish the cab and motor. oh well.. as your sig says, rome nor my truck was built in a day

cheers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Finally received the call today... "you can come get the truck"

Full exhaust done from the heads to the (yet to be tipped) back. This is duals back to the magna cross over muffler then duals back. Now I can get that final push to get all the "goodies" that are sitting in boxes to go onto the engine. (pictures will follow)

the driver side looks about the same as before so no new pic.

cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Slowly figuring out the added goodies that are going into the engine bay. Here is the pulley system that I have come up with. The alternator is 1 that Angie found new but didn't know it was a chev bolt sized unit. So I had to take the main bolt from the Moroso kit to work and get the machinist to lath it down and add threads to it for the head to get bolted to it. the Moroso bracket is what i was looking for. it hangs the alternator lower into the frame for more cleaner look.

The power steering bracket is a March one that went in great, however to get a V-belt to run at the proper distance from the drive pulley is offset about an inch.... uhhhg.... no one makes what I am needing. so had to wait for the yearly 2 day auto swap meet (last weekend) to see what i could find and see what i could make do....

Found this sweet chev water pump pulley for 20 bucks... I knew that it would need some more work and took it to the machinist for a look over. he was able to do some magic and will work perfect. still needs to get another 1/4 inch taken off the made bushing yet...

had to take the rad and fan out to make all this work... uhhg oh well at least it is only a few bolts to get it all back in.

To make the oil locator fit better I turned the outlets pointing down and ran the lines under the oil pan then to the filter that is mounted on the frame cross over. there is ample room under the pan for the hoses.

the passenger side pic is what it will be looking like and that chrome rod looking thing is what will be holding the plug wires off the engine in a pipe loom.

cheers....

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals