• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 4x4 leaf springs replacement

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys,

I am working on replacing the leaf springs on my '85 ranger. When I purchased the truck, I knew this needed to be done. The previous owner gave me a couple leaf springs he claimed came from a ford explorer. They look like they could probably fit, but I am not 100% certain if the stock hangers and shackles will hold them properly. I am having trouble finding original leaf springs for the vehicle. RockAuto has one option in stock, at $200 a spring... Husky Spring search shows two options, both on backorder.

I want to replace the rear forward shackle and rear rearward shackle and hanger. I am not very experienced with this kind of work, any tips to get those rivets off? I think I can get the majority of them with an angle grinder and a punch, but a couple look like they are sandwiched in there way too tight for my grinder to fit. I am contemplating tacking the bed off the truck, since I also want to replace the rear fuel tank sending unit (it provides gas, but the tank always reads empty). If I do this, I will also grind all the surface rust off the frame, prime it, paint it, and undercoat it. Does anyone have endorsements or recommendations for products to this end?

Here is a list of parts for my rear suspension replacement:

DescriptionPart # (with link)PriceQtyTotal
Shackle w/ Nuts and WashersHUSKY SPRING UA126R$5.644$22.56
Rear Rearward Shackle, Hanger, Bushing, and BoltsHUSKY SPRING FRRHK$65.792$131.58
Rear Rearward Hanger to Spring BushingMEVOTECH MS40432 $10.112$20.22
Rear Forward ShackleHUSKY SPRING FRFH$30.792$61.58
Rear Forward Shackle to Spring BushingMEVOTECH MS404155$8.602$17.20
Hanger BoltHUSKY SPRING HB716114$1.998$15.92

Subtotal: $269.06

This is assuming the explorer springs fit.

Should I be swapping out with interchangable or similar parts from a different truck to get a better deal? Should I be looking for some kind of upgrade? Does this look like a fair price?

Thank you in advance for any help!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you for the suggestions! The link you posted lists '86 as the earliest year the springs will fit. Do you think it will fit the '85 as well?

When you say Detroit, do you mean Eaton Detroit Spring (sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm obviously not very knowledgeable about the stuff). Eaton Detroit Spring lists the 1350 lb leaf springs at $223.95/ea.

I live in the inner suburbs of Detroit, so that would otherwise be a very convenient option, and could save me a lot of money in shipping fees along with time.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
scientific up on hack rd in saginaw right off of 75 should have the same spring in stock for 80 ish...

i dont remember the difference off hand of the 83-84 trucks...some had smaller rears and maybe it was bolt hole size...

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you for the heads up!

That web site, SDTruckSprings, does have a leaf spring for the '83 - '85.

Comparing the two, they are very similar other than the '86 - '03 having a 6" arch and 11/2" thickness, while the '83 - '85 have 4 5/8" arch and 1 9/16" thickness (as well as +100 lb load capacity, + $30 ).

My current thoughts: I will order this mounting hardware from RockAuto, sans bushings. Which reminds me, my previous list missed a pair of eye bolts.

The explorer springs are the same width as the ranger's. Thus I will get bushings that fit the explorer springs, and try mounting those springs on the ranger. Worst case scenario, this doesn't work and I am out the cost of the bushings.

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any thoughts on those rivets? I worry my 18v cordless will not be enough to drill them out (and that would probably necessitate taking the bed off).

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
best thing to do is pull the bed and drop the tank.

cut off wheel and flap disk with a good drift and 2 pound ..... it takes me longer to pull the bed and drop the tank then to replace all of the hangers and springs.

once you have some experience or work with someone that does its easy.....only time you get out a drill is to enlarge holes.

the shock mounts i usually pull as well as the frame is often roached from them and repair that shit and convert to both shocks to the rear if it dont have a rear frame tank....

it can be hell for the uninitiated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals