• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 b2 no power

Kytin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Please someone help me with my electrical problem.
The other day I was told about a 1985 Ford bronco 2 V6 5 speed 4x4 that is for sell. I went to look at it and put a battery in and broke a red fusible link off the starters solenoid. There wasn't enough wire left to work with so I cut off the fusible link and wired it back to the + post on the solenoid. After turning the engine over 20 seconds it fired up but at the same exact moment I let the key turn back to (on) everything died. No power to any lights. Still have full charge and jumping the solenoid across turns over the engine but I assumed I didn't have power to ignition or fuel pump so I gave up and left.
Now the owner did tell me the ignition switch was messing up and that's why he bought a new toy..
I'm trying to figure out if the problem is old from the ignition switch or from the fusible link I removed.
How hard would it be to wire the ignition and fuel to a toggle switch and the solenoid to a momentary push button.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

In 1985 you should have Starter Relay on inner fender, often called starter solenoid, its a relay not a solenoid, lol

On one larger post of the relay will be Battery's positive cable, this is the Power Distribution post for the vehicle, all the fusible links connect here, including alternator.
All 12v power comes thru/from this one post, so make sure all wires on this post are clean and making good contact.

On the other larger post of this relay there will be ONE cable, it runs to starter motor.

There will be 1 or 2 smaller posts on this relay, labelled "S" and "I"
"S" post activates Relay/starter motor when it gets 12volts, usually a Red/blue stripe wire that comes from ignition switch, when key is turned to START "S" post gets 12volts.
"I" post was used to in the old days for ignition Coil Power, it has 12volts when starter motor is active, 0 volt when its not, it may or may not be there, but doesn't need to be hooked up when using most electronic distributors.

If you have no power to ignition switch then there would be no 12v to starter relay when key was turned to START, that power comes from Orange fusible link on starter relay
There is also a Clutch switch, safety switch, so clutch pedal needs to be down all the way so the relay can get the 12v from ignition switch.

And just as a heads up, there is no 12volts unless there is a 0 volts, a GROUND.
So unhook Negative/ground cable on battery and clean it, then check other end of cable usually on the engine and make sure it is clean and tight

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals