• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 TK5 extension housing/output shaft bushing

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bump, with some optimistic news.

I pulled the trans out and have been steadily disassembling it to replace all the bearings. The synchros are fine, knock on wood, so it's just a bearing and seal rebuild. This has been done under the watchful eye and with help from a friend with a machine shop who knows more of what he's doing than I do, which is helpful. I do have the shop manual which has a detailed teardown in it, and we've been loosely referring to it as we go as well.

Side note for anyone who wants to try to rebuild one of these: there is a speciality tool that you can't get around having. It's a 1-5/8" (probably actually 41mm) extra deep socket to go around the mainshaft of the trans to remove a nut that's recessed in a gear. We were able to make this tool rather than finding the Ford/Rotunda/OTC specialty tool. There is no other type of socket or wrench we could come up with to do the job without cutting a socket and welding an extension in made of exhaust pipe.

When we got the bushing pressed out, it became apparent what the ID/OD discrepancy is about. Cobra Transmission is referring to the ID of the snout on the extension housing, which is the OD of the bushing. This is why there was such a wide spread between the numbers they are offering as available vs my yoke.

Available bushings are 1.580" = 40.132mm, or 1.510" = 38.354mm.
The actual OD of the bushing we pressed out came out to 40.12mm, so I bought the 1.580" new bushing.

It fits a lot snugger on the yoke, so here's hoping it cures the fluid loss.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals