• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86' STX (FREE truck!)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Cool. If you can, post up some pics of the front axle and specifically the brackets that attach it to the frame right under the engine. Just curious if it's a regular STX or a High Rider.

The last freebie Ranger I got was an '85... somebody tried to build a fiberglass "body kit" thing for it and there was far more poorly done fiberglass all over it than there was actual metal. It ran well enough to jump it a few times until the engine quit.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Cool. If you can, post up some pics of the front axle and specifically the brackets that attach it to the frame right under the engine. Just curious if it's a regular STX or a High Rider.

I'll bite. How do you know the difference?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The pivot brackets and radius arm brackets are different. I have a thread posted in the rare trucks section that has a bunch of pictures of everything side by side.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No doubt, it's impossible to find one of these body style Rangers in good shape around here, let alone a 4 wheel drive one. This generation Ranger is my favorite. Everything on this truck seems to be very well built and sturdy. They truly don't make em' like they used to. When I was in school a few years ago, I really wanted a Bronco 2. That was when I used to see them on Craigslist frequently and they went dirt cheap. Don't know what happened, but stock in those has started to creep up.
I think people are starting to get rid of their Bronco 2's more frequently so you see them listed more often but prices have gone up of course. I got my Bronco 2 about 3 years ago for $800, at least the seller was up front that he screwed up the transmission no lie there if you had it in overdrive it would shift 1st through 3rd once it hit overdrive it was like you shifted to neutral. Transmission was rebuilt immediately after purchase and so far 3 years later I haven't had any trouble with it, AAMCO did a great job with mine, and I got really lucky the shop I took it too just happened to have an old Ford factory mechanic so he did so much stuff on top of the transmission rebuild and showed the parts they use over what the factory put in, I didn't think I'd be able to tell but the aftermarket rebuild kits that AAMCO uses are much better quality and heavier duty....the seller also pointed out that it burned a little oil...that was a slight understatement, it was a definite oil burner, and would leave a smoke screen behind the vehicle as well as cover the back of the vehicle in oil. So the engine was replaced last fall. I'm happy with it, its kind of close to the Ranger, just fuel injected rather than carbureted like the 84 Ranger was. Overall it does fine for what I need it for which is mostly a DD and I use it for my amateur radio equipment as well, still doing some work on it for lights and auxiliary stuff but otherwise its running and driving great. These old trucks certainly were built to last. I do have an 88 F250 4x4 super cab long bed with the 460 V8 and C6 automatic transmission with just shy of 700k...just recently realized I have disappearing coolant with no external leaks...head gasket not sure which side or both but both are going to be getting replaced here soon. That truck has done a lot of towing its entire life and if this is the only somewhat major issue with it is head gaskets in almost 700k miles I'm extremely happy. Its old, its tired, but it just keeps on going...no other work done to it other than regular maintenance services, transmission has never been rebuilt, engine hasn't either.

One issue common on the 2.9L V6 engines is upper end oiling issues and the valve train rattling noise. Not a bad engine, not a racing engine by any means, it'll move if you want it to but by far not a race truck LOL.

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
An Autocheck today gave me a bit more backstory to my truck

States the truck started life, like me, in the Hampton Roads area and moved to Fredericksburg (can't make this shit up). The earliest given registration was in Newport News in 96'. It then began to bounce around, moving up the northern neck (titled 2000 in Gloucester, titled 02 in Shacklefords) until it was titled in Stafford in 08', maybe sold in 2011' and titled in Fredericksburg then

Something happened in 2015 where the truck was never registered again. Someone got a hold of the truck, and not only got a ticket for driving it unregistered (found that in the cab), but the truck was also somehow involved in a "rear impact collision" in Apr 2017. Took it like a champ because I see no damage. That was little over 2 months before we moved in. Sometime after that, it made it's way underneath of that tree, in said abandoned lot left to die and never touched again. Maybe the driveshaft was taken out to tow it from the accident? Who's to know until a new one is installed

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That is a fantastic find. I didn't know you could claim cars like that. I highly doubt that you could claim a vehicle that is owned by somebody who still wanted it. If your car is sitting there on your property, titled in your name, what claim could they make?

I think that the truck will probably need quite a bit of work, but keep doing what you are doing. Get it as clean as you can and then start thinking about what you want to do. Honestly, I think that it deserves a full restoration. If it is as rust free as you say it is, that is the main goal. You can source other missing or broken parts for relatively cheap, and end up with a real nice truck.

Even if you want to sell it, you can command quite a pretty penny.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
That is a good looking truck.

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No updates yet, payday is Friday. I hope to play with the truck this weekend if all goes well :)

Two things. First, I noticed this electronic clock above the center console. I have never seen this before on a Ranger and thought it was neat. It looks like where the automatic 4x4 would be located on later models

Second, speaking of automatic, I noticed I have automatic hubs. It would behoove me to replace those when I do wheel bearings and brakes, perhaps. I recall the automatic hubs on my old S10 Blazer being very problematic and I would like to nip that in the bud when the time comes.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That clock is interesting. Does your truck have a floor shifter for the transfer case?

Trash the auto hubs. They are junk.

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That clock is interesting. Does your truck have a floor shifter for the transfer case?

Trash the auto hubs. They are junk.
Truck does have a floor shifter for the transfer case

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No updates yet, payday is Friday. I hope to play with the truck this weekend if all goes well :)

Two things. First, I noticed this electronic clock above the center console. I have never seen this before on a Ranger and thought it was neat. It looks like where the automatic 4x4 would be located on later models

View attachment 30049

Second, speaking of automatic, I noticed I have automatic hubs. It would behoove me to replace those when I do wheel bearings and brakes, perhaps. I recall the automatic hubs on my old S10 Blazer being very problematic and I would like to nip that in the bud when the time comes.
Does the clock bezel look like it fits the truck better than the picture shows?

The only I have seen in a first gen has an identical clock but has a metal maplight that folds down and you can aim. The plastic bezel is different but the light is similar to a Mustang's. I wonder if yours is out of something different.

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

The only I have seen in a first gen has an identical clock but has a metal maplight that folds down and you can aim. The plastic bezel is different but the light is similar to a Mustang's. I wonder if yours is out of something different.

It looks like a factory job to be honest, the bezel just appears smashed from use. The fit is super tight

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks like a factory job to be honest, the bezel just appears smashed from use. The fit is super tight
They made a lot of tweaks in '86 like that, that might be one of them.

I have seen a couple of the older style, none like yours. I don't think it was ever a popular option.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

I have this and the digital clock in my '85 BII. I'm not sure how rare it is though....

murphdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
God my 85 tempo had that same clock, complete with the elapsed time counter as a Joke: By Ford.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals