• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2.9L oil pressure problems

jas535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L and 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought my daughter a 1987 Ranger XLT with a 2.9L motor. It ran fine when we bought it but now it has an intermittent oil pressure problem. Sometimes it runs fine, sometimes it runs fine for about 5 min then loses oil pressure and sometimes there is no oil pressure from the start. Ive been told that it is either the oil pump or the main bearings. Is there anyway to check the bearings before I go tearing the motor apart to replace them?

thanks
JAS535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm also having this problem . Is the oil light on ?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Your best option is to install a manual oil pressure gauge. Are you completely sure there isn't any oil pressure or are you just looking at the gauge in the dash that's supposedly saying no oil pressure? Sometimes those gauges quit reading properly.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like the sender. With the key on pull the sender wire and the gauge should go to max or idiot light off, touch the wire to ground and gauge should go to zero or idiot light on. If so then wiring and gauge are ok, you can get a loner gauge from the parts store and just screw it in the sender port to check true pressure, if its good then replace the sender.

EDIT: Thats key ON, engine OFF.

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Do the lifters start clattering?
If they don't clatter....do what the guys said and check the oil pressure gauge/wiring/sending unit.....& install a real oil pressure gauge in the cab to get an accurate reading....

My son in law had a truck for 5 years---it never showed any oil pressure on the OEM oil gauge or on the new pressure gauge below 1500 rpm.....

but the lifters NEVER clattered...he was told that it was worn cam bearings & worn main bearings....he never tore the engine down.....but it still runs like a clock!

jas535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L and 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When the pressure drops (the light comes on) the thing starts chattering like crazy

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
O.K....just guessing about things to check BEFORE removing the oil pan to see what might be wrong in the block and the oil pump itself....

IF the distributor shaft drives the oil pump...is the distributor installed all the way into the oil pump notched shaft correctly?

OR.......is the bottom end of the distributor shaft damaged causing the oil pump not to turn correctly/or not at all?

OR.....is the top of the oil pump shaft damaged?

Kooter86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I too am having a similar issue. I bought my '88 ranger with a 2.9L..its had a lifter chattering since I bought it..had some serious ignition issues, burning up modules and distributors left and right..found it to be a lack of grounding..only having one ground site from the battery to the block. Now my auto meter oil pressure gauge is going bonkers...seems like maybe just the gauge but, after it gets some heat in the motor it starts running all fucky lol..sounds as if it's down a cylinder maybe..but doesn't seem to lose power. The chatter then gets louder at idle..not sure which direction to go here..could it be a spun main bearing or oil pump/drive shaft issues and what might be the best way to tell with out tearing the pan off the motor...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals