• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 bronco wont start...

83rattyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 87 bronco II. has sat up for a while, and needed a new battery.. replaced the battery and all it will do is turn over. it has plenty of gas, but i don't think it is getting any fuel. So this leads me to think the fuel pump is out. What would be my next step into trouble shooting this matter? i don't know too much on this e.f.i system and not to sure about the fuel pumps.. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I would start at the inertia sw. on the floorboard by the passengers feet under the carpet. Reset it then check for power in and out of it. If it has power into and out then work your way to the fuel pumps. If there power in and no power out then it is most likely a bad sw. If there is no power into it start working back to the fuel pump relay.
The relay will be on the passengers side wheel well.If the BII has A/C there will be 3. If not there will be 2. Most times the fuel pump relay will be green. I have seen one that was black one time.

Relay on the right above the V6 emblem
Check to see if you can hear it click when you turn the key on. The EEC (computer) relay is right next to it and it needs to close also for the fuel pump relay to work.
I would start there before changing any parts and see what you find.
If you don't have a wiring diagram go to www.autozone.com and get a free one there. While not as good as some its better then none.
Go to www.fordfuelinjection.com to learn a bit more about the fuel system and the EEC IV computer.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals