• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger 2.9 stroker (210 ci/3.5 L)

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6, soon goin bigger :-)
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about the lack of updates, been super busy between work, school and the lady. The wet sleeves have all been bored to 3.685", leaving just enough material to hone the walls after the cylinders are pressed into the block. Need to turn down the outside diameters to final adjusted specs, but that shouldn't take more than a couple days of class. Was able to let my instructor give me free reign of the shop for my last semester, so should really be able to crank on the truck a lot more now.

Have also created copper gaskets .021" thick to go between the block and spacers to seal coolant/oil passages as the head gasket will be on the wrong side of the spacer and didn't feel like mangling a second set of gaskets by cutting out the fire ring. Plus it should increase thermal transfer away from the spacers and heads. The second picture shows more clearly what I mean.

Tomorrow morning the heads get resurfaced. :D The aluminum plate attached to them allows me to flip the head and easily clamp it to the mill table. (PS, stupid simple to make, just a piece of 1/2" thick 6061 bolted along the valve cover rail and another bolted to the rocker shaft holes)

An finally the spacer. Had the local steel distributor laser cut some 3/4" HRS plate to rough dimensions and make starter bores on 4.760" centers. The milling is going to take a long time, but it's finally getting to the point where I get to shop around for a good block machinist.

Attachments

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One done, one to go. Drilled out four rusted snapped bolts in the manifold flanges, to be retapped Monday. Ended up flat to .0004" across the entire head, ports square to the gasket surface. :yahoo:

Attachments

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Question about cam

After trying to figure out the best way to make up the increase in deck height in respect to the valvetrain, any opinions on if I would be better served trying to increase the lifter length (4.0 or BBC roller lifters) or lengthening the pushrods? Should I try to keep their height ratio (lifter L/ pushrod L) similar to stock? Just curious how the valvetrain geometry would change, breaking stuff possibly. Anyone have a loose 4.0 lifter they could grab a length measurement from?

As far as cams, torn between stock 2.9 and having the journals on a 4.0 ground down to fit the slightly smaller bearings of the 2.9. Reasoning is the increase in lift without significantly increased duration may allow better breathing without dangling intake valves in front of the pistons like shark bait.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry i cant help with your valvetrain questions but keep up the good work. Im stoked to see this thing run.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I like this it's cool and have you tried just calling up a engine builder shop and picking there brain a bit??

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I say increase the over all size of the lobe to whatever your deck height was increased to. Only thing is keeping the oil holes on the lifter lined up with the holes on the block to have oil get into the lifter.

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Progress

Here is an update. One spacer is ~70% finished. So almost done with one bank of the engine. Been taking a lot of photos and notes, so the other side should go relatively quickly.

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pictures

The first picture is the gasket sandwich, second is two of the sleeves in place (the far sleeve needs a counterbore depth adjustment). Third picture is the new deck height. Remember, the piston was initially.638" above the deck. Fourth picture is the spacer on the locator collars around the head bolts. I know it's upside down, need to first open up the slot for the intake manifold stud.

Attachments

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First picture is the spacer on the block. All of the area inside the counterbores will be a solid sleeve, increasing the wall thickness to .255", which should be enough to handle a low psi turbo system. The spacer with three sleeves installed weighs roughly 18 pounds, so the block will also be getting a bit more mass. The second picture shows piston extension without modification.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad to be seeing updates.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Head studs

Head studs measure M12x1.75 x 125mm. Should I make an article with all the bolt sizes and block internal dimensions for the reference page?

Attachments

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Just curious: When taking so long to design and build an engine like you're doing (not a knock, I know why it's taking the time it is), when you assemble the engine, do you have to use some type of special assembly lube or grease? Expanding on that, if assembly lube is more liquid, on a longer build like this, does it make sense to switch over to a moly grease or something like that instead so it stays put?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals