• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9 fuel problems

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
There was a similar post in the old forums. I am having a problem with fuel as far as I know. Haven't gotten a gauge to check fuel pressure, but when I run my truck at part throttle it seems to be loading up and puking out puffs of black smoke. I have replaced the water temp. switch and dist. pickup. Also swapped intake temp. switch and throttle pos. sensor. Also tryed swapping computers. No success. Now after it runs for about 5 or so minutes it just dies with no spark. I am getting really pissed off. :annoyed::mad::icon_confused:. Please any help would make me ecstatic. Thank you.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
tfi module, classic symptom. There is a possibility that it could be something like a bad ground to the computer or a bad eec relay but those really arent heat related issues.

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just had my Holley TFI module tested and no problems there. That is what they said. We will see. Got more important things right now. Too many vehicles need work.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
These are not at all classic TFI symptoms. The TFI failure gives (sometimes intermittent) no spark conditions. You don't screw up the mixture. You stall and can't restart until the distributor cools (or permanently).

Run the self tests. Many mixture problems are caused by faulty inputs to the PCM. Check every ground (electrically -- you often can't see poor grounds unless they are severed).

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This may sound stupid and I know my truck inside and out, but what self tests? I just want my truck fixed so I can enjoy it again. Thank you.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
... Now after it runs for about 5 or so minutes it just dies with no spark... Thank you.
the reason I say it could be a failure of the tfi is because of that statement and if you read my full reply I also touched in the fact that it could be a wiring issue. yeah, i might not know it all but you dont need to crawl down my throat for trying to help a guy out.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This may sound stupid and I know my truck inside and out, but what self tests? I just want my truck fixed so I can enjoy it again. Thank you.
During the self test, the computer can check for incomplete circuits, voltages that are out of range, etc.. Do you have a CEL present?

You can visit this link or the technical library for info on pulling codes:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford

Follow the diagram on the bottom right picture, put the key on 'Run' and simply just watch the codes blink out on your CEL. It will show the engine ID, KOEO codes (hard faults), BLINK, then CM (codes in memory) codes. The codes will be repeated twice. If the CEL is burnt out, use the top method with the analog voltmeter or test light (or if the current reader has an 86-87 model).

Pete

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help. I am gonna check soon. Thank you very much. Have a good night. Any more help would be appreciated. O and Holyford86 I did not jump down your throat just saying what I knew.

robo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
check for corroded grounds at battery terminals. if the cables are swollen at the battery the corrosion swells the plastic and insulates the wires causing poor a ground.

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I am about tired of trying to figure this out, but I have way too much money wrapped up in this truck to give up. I got a constant memory code of the dist. pick-up. Replaced it with a new one and now the truck will only run for a few minutes before it dies with no spark. I have checked all the plug wires, replaced cap and rotor, cleaned the plugs, swapped coils, checked ICM, checked fuel pressure, checked and swapped coil, swapped intake temp. sensor and TPS. Not sure what to do now. I am gonna try a different MAP sensor next I guess. Trying to not throw new parts at it untill I find something that changes anything. Thanks again for all the help.

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, let's try again. What we have here is apparently replaced a perfectly good dist. pick-up with a bad one. Took it back and got a new one. Back to original problem. Got truck running so now I could hook up my tester to it. KOEO codes were 11 with a Continuous Memory code of 96( by the book that means: Thermactor Air System problem--right(passenger) side air flow will not bypass OR Fuel Pump circuit failure OR High speed fuel pump relay circuit failure). Confused me too. No idea which one that is. KOER codes are 12 and 41. 12 meaning System cannot raise engine speed above normal idle. 41 meaning Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor: voltage signal always "lean" (low value) -- does not switch. Please any similar problems that were solved would help. Fuel pressure is a little low, but should solve with a new fuel filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Still smells like gas and can't figure out if it is loading up or missing under partial throttle. Comes and goes though. Totally frustrated. Please help.

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
I will see what i can dig up when i go to work tomorrow.

Derek

88ranger4x4offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Will drive shortly to see, but I think a new oxygen sensor solved my major problem. i am stupid. Heard other people didn't solve their problem. hould have tried it in the first place. Thank you for all the help. I appreciate the info. Should have just used my computer in the first place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals