• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 B2 XLT 27K miles on Bring a Trailer

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My B2 was built in September of 84 according to the door jam and it came with cruise.

I love the late 70's ford exterior but honestly I have always hated square gages. Love the round ones in first gen rangers and B2's
Hmm....i didnt think an 85 would have that 3rd pic wheel...wonder if it was factory?

I like the square gauges lol

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Every 85 up I've seen has had the later style wheel.

You could have also gotten the 4 spoke 1984 style without cruise control buttons. I've never owned an '83, they never seemed real popular up here or maybe they just rotted away before I got into Rangers - not sure.

FWIW, second gens and Explorers had at least three styles of wheels (thin & plastic, thick & plastic, leather/gel insides) and two horn/CC middle pieces (89-92 were different than 93-94.)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Nice. For a rig like that, I wouldn't mind the A4LD, it would just be a weekend driver.

Interesting steering wheel too, I've never seen that style in a 1st gen. Every single one I've seen has had the plastic style.
That steering wheel must not be too rare my 88 EB B2 has the same steering wheel. Only wish mine was in that good of condition.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
According to cargurus this is a 92 interior...

I think the exploders used the airbaggy wheel in 91 and it migrated over to rangers in 93.
Hey, that's the same interior that's in my 88! Well. Sorta. Mine has the center console.

...that I robbed out of a 92.

Good info on the steering wheels. I've had two of the 92 style ones that were the offset ones (airbag style). Wound up going back to the original one because the extra 2" was a pain in the ass. Been looking for a black one to replace my factory red one with. I painted my red one with the same trim and bumper paint I used on the rest of the interior plastics, and it keeps rubbing off and looking like sh*t. Going to try to track down a "fancy" one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Been looking for a black one to replace my factory red one with.
May have to look for an '84 - that is the ONLY first gen I've ever seen a factory black steering wheel in and they are not common. The bummer is that you lose the horn button with that style.

Or... get a Grant wheel and install kit...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Hey, that's the same interior that's in my 88! Well. Sorta. Mine has the center console.

...that I robbed out of a 92.

Good info on the steering wheels. I've had two of the 92 style ones that were the offset ones (airbag style). Wound up going back to the original one because the extra 2" was a pain in the ass. Been looking for a black one to replace my factory red one with. I painted my red one with the same trim and bumper paint I used on the rest of the interior plastics, and it keeps rubbing off and looking like sh*t. Going to try to track down a "fancy" one.
I got a black one from an 89 F250 (style of #3 pic) if you want it ill hunt it down. Im not sure if itll work on a ranger column though.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
May have to look for an '84 - that is the ONLY first gen I've ever seen a factory black steering wheel in and they are not common. The bummer is that you lose the horn button with that style.

Or... get a Grant wheel and install kit...
I'll Look into the grant wheel. Never heard of them.

I got a black one from an 89 F250 (style of #3 pic) if you want it ill hunt it down. Im not sure if itll work on a ranger column though.
Definitely interested.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm about 99.9% sure that the F250 wheel, or ANY full size truck wheel, will NOT fit the Ranger column. The F series steering wheels are splined and can be clocked in any direction but the Ranger ones can only be installed two ways because the Ranger column shaft is "keyed" for lack of better terms.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I've seen 1st and 2nd gen Bronco II's with black steering wheels. I'm sure of it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm about 99.9% sure that the F250 wheel, or ANY full size truck wheel, will NOT fit the Ranger column. The F series steering wheels are splined and can be clocked in any direction but the Ranger ones can only be installed two ways because the Ranger column shaft is "keyed" for lack of better terms.
Actually, come to think of it you maybe correct. Seems like i remember their being a difference now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals