• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Bronco 2 Speedometer Cable, What Size?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Does anyone know by chance what length speedometer cable the Bronco 2 uses with the automatic transmission, and a good place to order one. Seems mine is bad. It would stick at 0mph for a while then jump up to the correct speed...then this morning it did the same except it went all the way around to 85mph then after that it has been about 15-20mph off all day so I'm assuming the cable is bad. Also, are the gears for the speedometer cable still available somewhere? I need to find an easier to access tire size for my Bronco 2 so I'm thinking of going with 235/75-R15's so I'll of course need to change the speedometer gear...that is if they're still available somewhere, and which one I need...currently it has 205/75-R15's.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Speedo gears can be gotten from Ford, Napa, RockAuto, CJ Pony Parts, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and others.

The cable length I do not know in inches or mms. What I can tell you is that for 1988 there should only have been one. If you are really uncertain order it for a 1992 Ranger. The FM132/145 had been completely phased out by then, leaving the A4LD, M5OD, and FM146 as the only transmissions. Since the cable length you need is largely dictated by the length of your transmission, and those three are all the same length, it should remove all of the guess work.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Speedo gears can be gotten from Ford, Napa, RockAuto, CJ Pony Parts, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and others.

The cable length I do not know in inches or mms. What I can tell you is that for 1988 there should only have been one. If you are really uncertain order it for a 1992 Ranger. The FM132/145 had been completely phased out by then, leaving the A4LD, M5OD, and FM146 as the only transmissions. Since the cable length you need is largely dictated by the length of your transmission, and those three are all the same length, it should remove all of the guess work.
Thank you for your awesome information as always, figured you would know with all your knowledge of these vehicles. I'll give the ole computer some typing and searching work this weekend. I think the worse part for that cable replacement is getting the new cable fished up under the dash and into the speedometer, guess its dash disassembly time :(. Too bad I don't have my new stereo yet, that would be the most opportune time to do this type of work LOL.
Never fails when these things happen its always cold...8 degrees this morning yuck.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you for your awesome information as always, figured you would know with all your knowledge of these vehicles. I'll give the ole computer some typing and searching work this weekend. I think the worse part for that cable replacement is getting the new cable fished up under the dash and into the speedometer, guess its dash disassembly time :(. Too bad I don't have my new stereo yet, that would be the most opportune time to do this type of work LOL.
Never fails when these things happen its always cold...8 degrees this morning yuck.
Meh, I thought getting the cable fished around the bend under the firewall was worse. I have also gotten really good at getting the cable hooked to the speedo, and unhooked for that matter, without taking anything else apart, just reaching up from the footwell and doing it by feel.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Meh, I thought getting the cable fished around the bend under the firewall was worse. I have also gotten really good at getting the cable hooked to the speedo, and unhooked for that matter, without taking anything else apart, just reaching up from the footwell and doing it by feel.
I seem to recall replacing a speedometer cable in my 84 Ford Ranger and I don't recall taking anything apart either, so I was going to attempt that first LOL...Looking under the dash it doesn't seem to be that hard to do, more or less just trying to blindly get the cable into the speedometer correctly would be the worst part I figure.

Thanks again for your help adsm08

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looking under the dash it doesn't seem to be that hard to do, more or less just trying to blindly get the cable into the speedometer correctly would be the worst part I figure.
Eh, I work on Ford's for a living, not being able to see what I'm doing is par for the course in my world.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals