• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 2.9 Exhaust Manifolds

archifx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
I recently picked up a nice 1988 Ranger with the 2.9 Can anyone tell me why the passenger side exhaust manifold has an open port on it? Does this connect to something that should be in its place? Any help would be great.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The hole should be plugged, it was for the EGR system used on earlier 2.9l Rangers

archifx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Gotcha... When you say plugged, is there a specific part that can achieve this or should I get creative? You mention the EGR system, I should probably locate the missing system correct? Does anyone have photos of what this is supposed to look like with the EGR system in place? Any photos of the manifold plugged up? I appreciate the fast reply.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Part number for the plug is E8TZ-9G458-A

But its a threaded plug and threads in manifold can be bad if its been off for awhile

1988-1992 2.9l Rangers didn't have EGR system, just 1986/7 did
Later model passenger side manifolds didn't have the hole, but can't say if they were the same fitment to header pipe in 1988

A shop may be able to weld the cap over the hole, needs to be thick steel or exhaust will eat it away

Last edited:

archifx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
I snapped a photo of my manifold with the opening going to nowhere... Where does the pipe route to?

Attachments

Last edited:

RangerStrom

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That doesn't look like an EGR port. I think it is for the flexible hot air duct that routes to the air box. There should be a port about the same size on the air box facing the engine. It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it alone. I removed the flex duct and sheet metal shroud when I replaced my heads about 10 years ago.

Last edited:

archifx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
That doesn't look like an EGR port. I think it is for the flexible hot air duct that routes to the air box. There should be a port about the same size on the air box facing the engine. It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it alone. I removed the flex duct and sheet metal shroud when I replaced my heads about 10 years ago.
Gotcha... that makes total sense. It was baffling me. Looks like a turbo manifold lol. I appreciate that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1

Its the pre-heater for air going into the engine on cold starts

It helps the engine heat up faster in colder climates
Flex pipe often breaks and since this is not a required system people don't replace it

From the air filter box to the radiator support is the CAI(cold air intake), it pulls air into the engine from behind the grill, and in front of the radiator
On this air tube will be the connection for the other end of the flex pipe and a valve
When cold the valve will change position and pull in air from around the exhaust manifold which will be air that has been pre-heated by the manifold
As engine warms up the valve switches back to the air from behind the grill

On the air filter box you will see 2 vacuum lines, one line runs to upper intake, the other to this Valve to open and close it
Part inside the air filter box is temperature sensitive, it sends vacuum to valve only when very cold

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
An EGR port would have been in the driver's side manifold.

The early 88 MY 2.9s still had the EGR ports in the intake and exhaust manifolds to burn off the unused inventory, and the ports were just plugged. But that is the preheater port. Don't worry about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals