• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 2.9 fuel pressure issues??

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You would have to buy or make a homemade smoke machine. Then you basically hook it to your engine via the vacuum system or intake and pump the engine full of smoke. If there's a vacuum leak, it becomes obvious quickly.

A smoke "machine" can be made in most cases for just a few bucks. As simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Simple... (and you can re-use the hand pump for numerous other things)

Or complicated and more expensive...

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@Bird76Mojo
Okay... Well... I installed a new brake booster and brakes now work great.... BUT the syptoms I was having are still the same. I'm really thinking that it may be injectors. When it does what it does.... It's only when warm AND driving. I have to floor it for it to "pick up". What do you all think? Thanks for all the help. I found these injectors online on eBay... What do you think?

Attachments

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unless you've done work to the heads/exhaust/ignition and don't mind sacrificing MPG for performance, I would get the model number off the injectors and get the same as you already have; which are probably between 14-15 lbs.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Well, at least the brakes are better. That's a step in the right direction! :)

I wonder if it's vapor-locking from a clogged fuel tank vent. Try leaving your gas cap a little loose for one short drive and see if anything changes. Probably not gonna change anything but it's free to try.. This shouldn't be an issue but who knows at this point?

I was thinking the other day about the coolant temperature sensor as well. But I'm not sure that would produce the symptoms you're having..

I can't see why the fuel injectors would do that ONLY after it's warmed up..

The TFI module could also be causing this. Although, they usually just cause the vehicle to die when it gets hot, again, anything is possible. Let's face it, we're grasping at straws here.

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, at least the brakes are better. That's a step in the right direction! :)

I wonder if it's vapor-locking from a clogged fuel tank vent. Try leaving your gas cap a little loose for one short drive and see if anything changes. Probably not gonna change anything but it's free to try.. This shouldn't be an issue but who knows at this point?

I was thinking the other day about the coolant temperature sensor as well. But I'm not sure that would produce the symptoms you're having..

I can't see why the fuel injectors would do that ONLY after it's warmed up..

The TFI module could also be causing this. Although, they usually just cause the vehicle to die when it gets hot, again, anything is possible. Let's face it, we're grasping at straws here.
@Bird76Mojo
Please see attached video and let me know what you think. Thanks again guys for all your help! It's much appreciated.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
As for the throttle butterfly in your throttle body, it should be slanted like that. That's normal. It does look pretty dirty behind it, but that won't cause the issues you describe.

BUT, the oil coming out of the hoses is NOT good. That means oil is getting in to your coolant somehow. See @PetroleumJunkie412 the 2.9 strikes again..

The hoses running to your throttle body should only have coolant passing through them. They essentially warm up the intake for colder climates, and help prevent the throttle body from icing up in extreme northern climates.

I'm afraid your engine may have cracked a head, or both heads. It could also have a bad head gasket, but on these 2.9 engines, they're extremely prone to cracking heads. One time running a little hot and they crack. I've cracked more 2.9 heads than I care to admit, and that's why I won't ever own another one. (just relaying my experiences here)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
As for the throttle butterfly in your throttle body, it should be slanted like that. That's normal. It does look pretty dirty behind it, but that won't cause the issues you describe.

BUT, the oil coming out of the hoses is NOT good. That means oil is getting in to your coolant somehow. See @PetroleumJunkie412 the 2.9 strikes again..

The hoses running to your throttle body should only have coolant passing through them. They essentially warm up the intake for colder climates, and help prevent the throttle body from icing up in extreme northern climates.

I'm afraid your engine may have cracked a head, or both heads. It could also have a bad head gasket, but on these 2.9 engines, they're extremely prone to cracking heads. One time running a little hot and they crack. I've cracked more 2.9 heads than I care to admit, and that's why I won't ever own another one. (just relaying my experiences here)
Forum battles aside, @Bird76Mojo has a point about 2.9s and their sh*tty heads. One overheating event, and there's a chance they break. Aftermarket heads fixes this on the cheap. In all sincerity Bird, (I'm not being sarcastic or a d*ck for once!) have you or anyone on here been able to crack a set of World Products heads (or equivalent improved heads)? Never heard of a set breaking.

I don't think that's the issue though.

The oil sludge all through your engine is from your pcv. I have a thread on here about running a catch can. 2.9s pretty much need them.

Aerosol seafoam will clean up your oil issues in your intake, and running a can and seeing if your problem goes away will help diagnose more. Don't use the liquid. Use the spray.

Also, dump two bottles of lucas BLUE fuel system cleaner in a tank of gas. Only one that works now that they took all the good sh*t out of BG. Will clean most of the crap out of your injectors.

You didn't take your lower intake off, did you?

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Forum battles aside, @Bird76Mojo has a point about 2.9s and their sh*tty heads. One overheating event, and there's a chance they break. Aftermarket heads fixes this on the cheap. In all sincerity Bird, (I'm not being sarcastic or a d*ck for once!) have you or anyone on here been able to crack a set of World Products heads (or equivalent improved heads)? Never heard of a set breaking.

I don't think that's the issue though.

The oil sludge all through your engine is from your pcv. I have a thread on here about running a catch can. 2.9s pretty much need them.

Aerosol seafoam will clean up your oil issues in your intake, and running a can and seeing if your problem goes away will help diagnose more. Don't use the liquid. Use the spray.

Also, dump two bottles of lucas BLUE fuel system cleaner in a tank of gas. Only one that works now that they took all the good sh*t out of BG. Will clean most of the crap out of your injectors.

You didn't take your lower intake off, did you?
@PetroleumJunkie412
So what makes you think it's not cracked heads? Also, No... I didn't take my lower intake off. Why do you ask? Thanks guys!

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis o_O? There are no coolant hoses going to the throttle body. There are two hoses on the throttle body. One feeds fresh air to the IAC, and the other feeds fresh air to the drivers side valve cover as part of the PCV system. Neither should have oil in them unless there is excessive blow-by, which could send some oil up the drivers side hose to the throttle body. If the blow-by is that bad, I would check the compression on all cylinders before throwing anymore parts at it.

My understanding is that only the '86 through '88 heads were prone to cracking, and this was fixed with the new '89 castings. If you're not getting coolant in your oil, or you're not having to regularly refill your radiator from coolant being sucked into the engine and out the exhaust, your heads shouldn't be cracked.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My understanding is that only the '86 through '88 heads were prone to cracking, and this was fixed with the new '89 castings. If you're not getting coolant in your oil, or you're not having to regularly refill your radiator from coolant being sucked into the engine and out the exhaust, your heads shouldn't be cracked.
The 89TM heads are less prone to cracking, but still not as good as they should have been.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
My bad. I must be thinking of another year and model of engine. I know Ford did use throttle body's with coolant passages in them on some models.. As I've said before, it's been a looooong time since I've worked on a 2.9, thankfully.

So, the panic on the cracked heads - IGNORE IT. *for now*

My truck was a late 89. I cracked 2 or 3 heads on it. Then I replaced it with a Jasper rebuilt engine and cracked those heads. Then cracked at least one more. I believe I had the better castings on my original engine too. I can't remember the letters/numbers now. TM or something to that effect..

As for the World Product heads, I never tried them if my memory serves me.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright fellas... Was taking out the spark plugs to do a compression test and I found this plug in #3. Just wanted to see what y'all thought. Video below. @PetroleumJunkie412
@Bird76Mojo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals