• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 & 94 ranger motor swap options

Ericalan350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Howdy folks,
I have a 91 ranger that my buddy and I were talking about motor swap ideas. Other than the 5.0, will an eco boost v6 work? My thought is that with all the computer mumbo jumbo that it would need or take may not be worth it. Anyone have any other ideas that anyone has done? It seems that the 5.0 swap is the most "user friendly" (if one can say that) of motor swaps. I / we are not looking to build a show truck here or break the bank if we can help it. What have you folks heard or think? Thanks in advance for the advice / ideas.

I also have a 94 ranger that down the road may look to do the same (motor swap) depending on how the 91 goes or direction it takes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are a few options, but yes for power and fit the 5.0l(302) V8 is the best choice since all the info is available
If you get a 1997-2001 Explorer V8 donor you get most of the bits and pieces needed for the swap

The Ranger engine bay is long enough for most V8s, and the height of an engine can be accommodated for with a body lift

The WIDTH of the engine bay is the limiting factor for simple swaps
The distance between heater box and steering shaft is the limiting factor, which can be deleted or moved, but simple its not

The 5.0l(302) Windsor engine is 19" wide and fits, tight but fits, so you can keep heater and steering as is

When you go to OHC engines they tend to get wider because of taller heads

And turbos require extra room as well, 4cyl turbos are an option, V6 turbo would require extra plumbing

There have been a few TDI diesel swaps
And the 4BT diesel swap as well

And a few Chevy LS1 swaps, even with turbo added

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Check other forums in this site, there are threads with photos for the eco-boost swaps, you can get a good idea of what is involved.

Ericalan350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals