• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger 2wd auto to manual tranny swap (2.3L)

irondragon79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
did a quick search, but didn't find anything, but heres my question.

I have a 1991 Ranger, 2.3L with a 5spd manual, that the body is completely shot on. I just picked up another 1991 Ranger, w/ an auto that has low miles, decent body but the tranny is shot.. but hey, I can't complain for $200

How how hard would it be to swap out the auto tranny and replace it with the manual? I'm guessing it would need the tranny/clutch/flywheel, pedal assembly, and the manual steering column (and instrument cluster since I won't need the gear shift indicator). Did Ford use just one wiring harness for these trucks, or are they differant from auto to manual? Would I need to swap out computers? Do they use the same cross members and driveshafts? Anything else I missed?

Both trucks are standard cab, 2wd with short boxes if that matters at all.

I'm hoping this is a simple swap and I really hope to get one of the 2 road worthy soon.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing the one you bought has a decent running 2.3 in it? If the motor's shot, I'd swap out the tranny and engine on your old one into the new Ranger.

If you are swapping the transmissions, there are a couple things.

For the most part, the wiring is very simple. The clutch switch connector should still be present on the auto harness, although it will be zip tied up and away. The pedals are difficult to swap out, but with patience you can do it. I would swap out computers for gas mileage purposes, as some readings are taken off of the automatic and since it won't be there, it could affect your motor's efficiency.

The instrument cluster you can leave as long as you don't mind the selector gauge, as well as your steering column as long as you just cut off the gear selector and patch over it. The crossmembers should be the same, but I am not positive on older years.

You'll need to rip out the shift cable for the automatic, and install the clutch master cylinder in that hole on the firewall; at least that's where the shift cable ran out on my truck (1998). Mount the resevoir whereever you can put it.

irondragon79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually both trucks have really good running engines, both with under 130,000, although the new truck (with the shot auto) has issues with the throttle body linkage sticking that I can't seem to free up.

Near as I can tell my best option at the moment is to simply swap over the manual tranny into the truck that currently has the auto in it since that truck has the good body and an even better interior (XLT in near mint shape).

I think the best thing I can do is park the 2 trucks side by side and take a look at all of the connections and such and get a plan of attack to the actual swap. The one benefit I have is having a complete running donor truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals