• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger 4.0 4x4 for the kids

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I just joined because about a year and a half ago I was looking for manual transmission truck that my kids could drive and work on as they became of age to drive. I ended up buying a 91 Ranger at farm auction for $300. It didn't start so we changed the fuel pump, installed a new battery, changed the fluids. After that it started up and the 4x4 even worked but the original automatic hubs were making a lot of noise. We changed those out for Warn manual hubs. I've been using this site for information and really appreciate all the great information.

I've installed a rebuilt tranny (M50D-R1) and have a question that I'll post in the tech section.

In case you were wondering, so far I have been turning most the wrenches with the kids not as enthusiastic about getting cut up and greasy as I had hoped they would be.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That is usually the way those things go. It actually surprised me that my oldest daughter is not afraid to get dirty. Maybe the next time you tear into something... make it clear they pay attention because they will have to put it back together if they want to drive it.

Welcome to TRS...

Reactions: SGE

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Uncle Gump. Part of the problem is my "just wanting to get the job done." I need to step back and let them screw things up, like I have sooooo many times.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I totally understand... but it really is the only way they learn.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Hello, I just joined because about a year and a half ago I was looking for manual transmission truck that my kids could drive and work on as they became of age to drive. I ended up buying a 91 Ranger at farm auction for $300. It didn't start so we changed the fuel pump, installed a new battery, changed the fluids. After that it started up and the 4x4 even worked but the original automatic hubs were making a lot of noise. We changed those out for Warn manual hubs. I've been using this site for information and really appreciate all the great information.

I've installed a rebuilt tranny (M50D-R1) and have a question that I'll post in the tech section.

In case you were wondering, so far I have been turning most the wrenches with the kids not as enthusiastic about getting cut up and greasy as I had hoped they would be.
For many years I tried to get my son interested in turning wrenches and doing routine maintenance. He's now a patent attorney, smart as all get out, but still can't tell the difference between a wrench and a socket.
Sooo, I gave up.
But my oldest grandson, 10, just loves to take things apart and find out how it works, so I haven't given up hope.
Grumpaw

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For many years I tried to get my son interested in turning wrenches and doing routine maintenance. He's now a patent attorney, smart as all get out, but still can't tell the difference between a wrench and a socket.
Sooo, I gave up.
But my oldest grandson, 10, just loves to take things apart and find out how it works, so I haven't given up hope.
Grumpaw
Dang Grumpaw, patent and copyright attorneys are mostly top notch, the only ones better are if you're lucky enough to find a good trial lawyer with any integrity(which is almost impossible, as of it itself is almost an oxymoron)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Those hubs can be cleaned up and then lubed in auto transmission fluid. Please don't just toss em, I really like mine

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sooo, I gave up.
Grumpaw
I once worked with a kid who couldn't figure out which end of the socket went on the ratchet.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Dang Grumpaw, patent and copyright attorneys are mostly top notch, the only ones better are if you're lucky enough to find a good trial lawyer with any integrity(which is almost impossible, as of it itself is almost an oxymoron)
Oh, he is top notch, just not mechanically inclined at all. Proud as hell of him and what he dose (thank someone above he didn't turn in to a "bus bench attorney").
Whenever we go visit, I always bring some tools, oil, filters, ect to maintain their two vehicles.
Grumpaw

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Those hubs can be cleaned up and then lubed in auto transmission fluid. Please don't just toss em, I really like mine
I think I tossed them already. I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but I recall I needed a couple parts that cost as much as a manual hub kit. I'll look around for them.

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In the interest of full disclosure I'm an attorney (and engineer). That doesn't mean I disagree with you. One of my favorite saying is that people hate lawyers, except their own.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sir, I was definitely Not addressing my last remark agin ya, and I'm not sure how it got off that direction.
What you are doing there for your children are exactly what I had meant to applaud.
Please be assured what you are doing there has every bit of what finer aspects of life are all about.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Some kids hate repair work.

I did

I regret not liking it younger.

Give them time. Let them drive. Keeps their interest.

I learned to drive manual on a 1981 Ram. I'd do literally anything to have that truck back. Midnight Blue, bench seat, 318, short cab, manual and manual t case, 8 track with car, short bed, sun visor, was under restro by a guy named Newhouse that he sold it to in 2015 ish.

It's why I'm making mine my version of perfect.

Im trying to rebuild that thing. I keep noticing mine looks more like dad's every day.

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sir, I was definitely Not addressing my last remark agin ya, and I'm not sure how it got off that direction.
What you are doing there for your children are exactly what I had meant to applaud.
Please be assured what you are doing there has every bit of what finer aspects of life are all about.
No worries I didn't think it was a shot against me, I took it as an unfortunate general truth and I love a good lawyer joke. They are also my kids' favorite kind of jokes. In reality I'm using my engineering degree a lot more than my law degree. Life is too short to get offended easily, and without a sense of humor I couldn't work on my own cars.
I've told my 15 year old that the truck is up and running, any more problems are his to deal with if he wants to drive it. We'll see.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals