• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 stx overheating

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
So i took my truck through a pond and blew out the radiator. when i got home i replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump, and put an electric fan on. the truck would heat up a little quick then the temp would drop and slowly go back up. I tried pullin the thermostat and it just made the truck overheat alot faster. My heater core isnt leaking and i have no smoke coming out of the exhaust. When i changed the oil it wasnt milky or anything. Yesterday the truck started a slight knock to it also. Cant figure this problem out and its frustrating me:pissed off:. Give me some advice guys. THanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds VERY much like air trapped in the upper hose. Especially if the knocking continues after you turn the engine off.

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
how exactly would i go about getting the air pocket out of it. i parked it in my driveway which is level, turned the heat on, let the truck running the radiator cap off and kept filling it until it overflowed. with the cap on i was still not building up pressure in that top hose either.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you're not building pressure, there is a leak.

It's good practice to replace the radiator cap whenever you change coolant....

robo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
remove the temp sender from the top of the engine [ when cold] and fill the cooling system all air will be removed from yhe block. this will eliminate any air. if it still overheats than i would check for a cracked or warped head.

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
i just got done letting run for awhile. adding coolant as it got low and after it seemed like it was full i put a new radiator cap on it. still overheats but not as fast and it only does it when i go up a hill and after i top the hill the temp just stays where it is at. thanks

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
with the new cap it is building some pressure. thermostat is back in also. if i had a cracked head wouldnt i have a loss of power and smoke coming from the motor.

where exactly is the temp sending unit?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK, are you going up a hill SLOWLY?

'Cause this might be that electric fan....

Heads can crack in a variety of places, and not all of them make smoke. Modest cracks won't screw up power right away.

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
usually but when i went up today it was fast tho. the fan is new.would it help if i reversed the fan?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It would help if you took it off and put a working mechanical fan back on.

No offense, but if you don't know which direction to mount the fan, you REALLY shouldn't be modifying a critical system. If you mounted it backwards, it absolutely could cause overheating.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, the E-fan should be pulling air IN through the grill and through the rad. IS the fan juss mounted to the rad witk no type of shroud to direct the airflow? Why do you have an e fan anyways? I have to use one due to fitment issues, and i HATE it with a passion. and no, they done free up horse power. The parasitic drage lost by not having the mechanical fan on is now replaced by the extra load on the alternator. Anyways...Heads can crack and alow combustion chamber pressure to enter the cooling system, they can alow coolent to be drawn into the combustion chamber as well. This doesnt always create the sweet smelling steam from the exaust. What kinda condition are your rad hoses in? Could the suction hose be colapsing when its runing, which would restrict coolent flow? is the T-stat the same temp as the one you removed? a combination of a higher temp T stat and the e fan alone could cause the rapid overheating. btw, how hot is it getting?

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
i did put the fan on the right way. it is pullin air in through the radiator. im not that retarded. the reason i put it on is because i wasnt able to remove the clutch fan from the old waterpump. my truck hasnt had a fan shroud on it since i bought it. the highest temp ive let it get to is the "L" on that electric guage. the hoses dont look bad at all. and they are building up pressure now. just heats up slowly and it seems that if i have the heat on it stays cooler.

91rebelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 302
Transmission
Manual
as for the thermostat im not sure what the temp on it is rated for. it was a lifetime replacement thermostat from advance

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The stock thermostat is 195 deg. If there is ANY doubt replace it.

It is the thermostat's job to regulate the temperature.

Though "L" is not a temperature and if you're relying on that, you really have no idea what your cooling system is doing. How do you know your problem isn't floating voltage regulation, for instance?

Lifetime replacement is a joke. It means the manufacturer has figured out that their margins are so large that it's cheaper to give away replacements than actually implement quality control. It's not at all unusual to go through a whole string of defective ones.

And honestly, if your thermostat fails, will you really care about the $8 thermostat as opposed to the $400 heads?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals