• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93-94 Ranger Parking Brake Cable Route

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
My issue is that my right side rear cable is rubbing on the leaf springs and shock. (see pics) Now because I have been doing work on this section of the truck I would like to put it back to its stock installation position/ish. I'm not sure the of way the factory route this particular cable. Right now the cable comes clip at the diff to behind the shock (rubbing on it actually) , rear of the vehicle, to sweeping forward out under the spring, where it is very obvious the spring has cut into the cable casing, and making a tight-ish sweeping bend back towards the rear of the vehicle to enter the backing plate.
(EDITED to fix pictures not showing.)

I'm thinking the cable was replaced, possibly the shocks and the cable wasn't routed properly. I did try the cable in front of the shock but it rubbed on the front of the shock so I put it the way it was when I got it and am now inquiring here as to how the factory routed this side cable so I can stop the rubbing. What side of the shock did the factory route the original cable, front or back?

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
These 2 pix might help. Mine was originally rubbing on the shock. But not on the spring. These pictures were taken with wheels removed, frame on jack stands and axle just hanging by the suspension - full droop.

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Thanks for the Pictures of your setup it helps to a point. You have blocks between the spring and spring perch so there is more room on your truck. Although your cable is rubbing the back of the shocks just like mine, maybe rubbing here is normal for these things? I do know that I need to stop the cable from rubbing on the spring because if it hasn't it will shortly be to the center of that cable. I will be replacing that cable soon, just not today, because of the damage done already to it by the spring. I'm just trying to find out where the issue causing it to rub is so when replacing I can fix it.

Mine is routed the same as yours so I deduce that it is not a route issue.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Maybe some extra protection would be in order. A piece of rubber fuel hose added where it gets close to the spring would probably be good. Cut the hose lengthwise on one side so you can slip it over the brake cable. Position it where it's needed and secure with good zip ties. Inspect it for where when you rotate tires. Replace when needed. That's pretty cheap prevention.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I just may do that when I replace the cable next month because I honestly believe it will be the same way after installing a new cable, rubbing on the spring that is.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals