• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 Manual Locking Hubs - Newb Questions

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I'm missing the manual locking hub mechanism (the guts) on the driver's side, it was gone when i got the truck. I just have the "shell."

My questions are the following:
1.) Can i still dive the truck in 2wd with it missing? Would that cause any issues?
2.) What is the original brand, Ford/Motorcraft or someone else?
3.) What brands do you recommend or would advise not to get?
4.) I know the hubs can be interchanged in the 93 - 97 years. Am I able to switch it out with older versions?
5.) If i get a replacement, is it advised to switch out the passenger side too or it doesn't matter?

Feel free to answer whatever you can.
Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just get a set of Warn hubs for your year and replace both sides... keep the other for a spare.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with Gump.

The originals would have been branded as Ford, but I don't know who made them.

Warn is a great brand, but they only sell them in pairs, so get both and put them both on. It is safe to drive like that for a while, but not indefinitely.

The alternative is to gamble on a JY unit, which they are pretty sturdy and rarely fail, so might be worth it.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Thanks guys! Yeah the Warn would definitely seem more enticing if it was half the price :LOL: but maybe I'll bite the bullet. Thanks for the advice.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I'm missing the manual locking hub mechanism (the guts) on the driver's side, it was gone when i got the truck. I just have the "shell."

My questions are the following:
1.) Can i still dive the truck in 2wd with it missing? Would that cause any issues?
2.) What is the original brand, Ford/Motorcraft or someone else?
3.) What brands do you recommend or would advise not to get?
4.) I know the hubs can be interchanged in the 93 - 97 years. Am I able to switch it out with older versions?
5.) If i get a replacement, is it advised to switch out the passenger side too or it doesn't matter?

Feel free to answer whatever you can.
Thanks!
Replace both with Warn and be done. Bad or parts missing just mean trouble but you should probably be able to drive it in 2wd, does your shift motor work?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Replace both with Warn and be done. Bad or parts missing just mean trouble but you should probably be able to drive it in 2wd, does your shift motor work?
I have a manual transfer case, so happily don't have a shift motor.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The factory hubs were made by Warn, and have a narrow "4x4" decal on the dial knob.

Any 27-spline hubs made for the Dana35 axle should fit yours (year range is from mid-'90 to '97 models and includes '91-'94 Explorers).

Mile Marker is the only brand I might suggest to avoid... In the past there were numerous reports of them breaking in use, though I also have to say I've not seen anything real recent (not sure, maybe they changed the design).

If you have any plans to add a front differential locker and oversize tires, I'd suggest going a step further and get the Warn pt# 37780 hubs, which are considerably stronger than the standard-issue Warn #29071 hubs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The alternative is to gamble on a JY unit, which they are pretty sturdy and rarely fail, so might be worth it.
JY, Explorers have them. Locally they are $9.99/pr and they don't care if the bearing nuts/washers are in the hubs or not.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I found hubs off a 91/92 ranger. They'll fit right?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They should, as long as the pumpkin has 10 bolts on the front of the beam it's for a Dana 35 which should be factory on any '90.5 to '97 Ranger, but you never know what people put in after the fact...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I did run mile marker’s and only had a issue once, I was backing into a parking spot in the winter. There was plowed snow pushed into the parking spots on this back row, I didn’t like how far the nose of the truck stuck into the drive so I tried backing up into/on top of the snow pile. Of course the back tires started slipping once the hitch and back bumper started pushing snow and the rear tires themselves were on snow. Hubs were already locked in as there was quite a bit of snow that week. I put it in 4L and went back some more, front tires were on clean pavement. Well after about a foot & a half of travel there was a loud “pop” from the front. No more help from the front axle. When I checked things out later the drivers side hub had broke the large engagement ring - in 3 places! I got another set and had a spare then. Was the only problem I ever had with mile marker. I did have issues with the stock auto hubs, more than once they didn’t want to engage.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I think I will be going with new ones. I wasn't convinced with getting the JY ones in the end because i've had mixed experiences with JY parts. I would rather not deal with failing parts in the near future, so eh screw it i'll go with new.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Anyone familiar with the brand Ultra Power? Looking at the ULTRA-POWER 600212 off rock auto right now.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No experience with the Ultra Power, or Warn hubs, I have the Mile Marker Hubs on my 88 Bronco 2, no issues with them. Had the passenger side hub decide that making odd clattering noise was the result of trying to use the 4WD, so I replaced both hubs with Mile Marker brand hubs and they've been working fine for what little 4WD use my Bronco 2 sees. Some of the knock off names kind of make me stray away, stick with Mile Marker or Warn and you'll be fine. Might cost a couple bucks more but at least you have a part the company will stand behind and more than likely lend assistance with if it breaks or other issues.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
No experience with the Ultra Power, or Warn hubs, I have the Mile Marker Hubs on my 88 Bronco 2, no issues with them. Had the passenger side hub decide that making odd clattering noise was the result of trying to use the 4WD, so I replaced both hubs with Mile Marker brand hubs and they've been working fine for what little 4WD use my Bronco 2 sees. Some of the knock off names kind of make me stray away, stick with Mile Marker or Warn and you'll be fine. Might cost a couple bucks more but at least you have a part the company will stand behind and more than likely lend assistance with if it breaks or other issues.
Thanks for the input! Ultra Power is a brand sold from Rock Auto. I guess I'll go with Warn when more funds become available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals