• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94' 4.0 A4LD Questions

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats up guys, my girlfriend just picked up a super clean 94 ranger xlt, 4.0 4wd auto with a 3" BL and 285/75/16's (32.8"). Truck is in excellent shape with no rust and only 100k on the clock.

But of course I'm going over all the basics first. The one area that concerns me is the dreaded A4LD. Now as it is right this moment, things seem fine. A nice, firm (some might say slightly harsh) 1-2 shift and a very smooth 2-3 shift. As far as OD goes I'm not too sure because I havent used it. Basically, the truck was never re-geared for the bigger tires. BUT, i guess it came with 4.10's or something pretty deep because with overdrive off, it drives PERFECTLY. Lots of power in first, second is very useable, and third yields around 2500 rpm at about 70 on the highway.

Now, there's no way I'm going to be able to talk her into re-gearing two axles in this thing, so I would like to know if there is ANY harmful effect to just telling her to drive in the "D" range as opposed to the "OD" range on the gear selector? Basically I dont want the trans bouncing back and forth constantly between OD and 3rd (although it doesnt even seem to try to go into OD in the OD range, I guess the tires REALLY threw things out of whack lol).

Next question, there is a pretty solid clunk/thump when going between forward and reverse, or even stopping then going at a light. all the U joints seem good. With the trans in neutral there is quite a bit of rotational slack in the driveshaft, what is the allowable amount? The whole thing just feels really sloppy when driving around town. I cant see how an 8.8 with only 100k on it would be messed up but hey you never know. And also my friend was telling me that the A4's are know for being pretty clunky, is this true and is it harmful?

Lastly, I'm thinking about doing a fluid and filter change and possibly adding an additional cooler. Should I do it or should I leave it alone? It only has 100k on it but i have no idea if it's been serviced or not. And is it possible to run a trans too cool? It already has the radiator cooler and a factory plate-type cooler on there. I'm just worried about the added heat from the bigger tires. And LAST question (I promise lol), are those add on inline trans filters any help at all? Or are they total bogus? I'm trying to get the most life possible out of this A4LD! Any other trans longevity tips/tricks would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A separate external cooler is probably the best thing you can do for that trans. Running too hot/overheating is what seems to cause the vast majority of their issues (definitely won't be running it too cool).

The clunk could possibility be a worn-out limited-slip rear differential (the rotational slack in the driveshaft would be consistent with this). As the clutches in the diff wear down, the mesh between the spider gears gets loose, and is where the slack comes from. You might also notice a *knock* noise from the rear while driving over speed bumps or similar, increased axle shaft end play is another sign of a worn L/S diff.

An inline filter I don't think would be needed except after replacement of a failed transmission. Though even with a filter I'd still try to flush as much debris from a failed trans out of the lines & cooler as possible.

4.56 gears would make a HUGE difference not just in the driveability of that truck, but longevity of the A4LD too. If you can't talk her into regearing it, maybe instead have her downsize on the tires (235/75R15s would be about the equivalent, or 235/70R16 if you want to keep the 16" wheels, my guess is it has 3.73 gears (4.10 wasn't an option on '94 4.0L trucks). You'd probably want to lose the lift for those tires to not look "too small" under it though.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals