• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Manual Ranger, Only Fires While Cranking

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I tested yesterday and those were the numbers I read.
I used a spare battery known to be good, same issue.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Did you test at idle? Or did you pull the alternator and have it tested? Could appear to be fine with no load on it.

I just had a bad voltage regulator in one of mine and it seemed perfect at idle but under a heavy load it would fluctuate enough to make the headlights and dash lights flicker

I would suggest checking and cleaning up all the grounds under the hood and 2-3 of them in the cab that are under the kick panels... one is near the e-brake pedal assembly and I believe there are two on the passenger side near the ECM.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Wouldn't hurt to also check the fuses and fuse block under the hood. I've had a couple trucks that wouldn't run right because the fuse terminals themselves were corroded, loose or filthy.

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the delay, I have been working out of town trying to pay for this truck haha.

I replaced the alternator with a used unit and still the same situation arises. I have cleaned the grounds and all the fuse terminals look to be clean.
I appreciate all your help, honestly I'm getting to the point of cutting my losses and selling the truck.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's going to help if you do the tests and report the results that have been suggested, particularly RonD asking about voltage, etc.

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Will do, little update when the truck is running and I pull the ground cable it runs fine with accessories running. (Fan, wipers, radio) as soon as I connect the ground cable the truck dies

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Will do, little update when the truck is running and I pull the ground cable it runs fine with accessories running. (Fan, wipers, radio) as soon as I connect the ground cable the truck dies
12.7 engine off
14.8 running

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The ignition control module is different for a manual transmission and an automatic. One has provision for push starting.
The module also controls amperage to the coil, giving more in START than in RUN. If the module is cooked, it might enable spark in START, and cut it off in RUN. The module produces a signal that the computer uses to know the engine is running in some years, and will enable the fuel pump again after the initial 3-5 second run to pressurize the system.
Be sure you have the correct module, and that your ignition switch on the column is in good shape. Mine seemed to disconnect power to the ignition when released from START, and the engine died intermittently...
tom

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Any ideas for the battery drain?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals