• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger automatic stuck in gear...will not shift into park

k ryan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock 15"
I have a 94 ranger 4x4 4.0 v6 automatic tyranny that gets stuck in drive or reverse gears but won't shift into park. I have to shut truck off apply e brake climb under truck and remove column linkage from transmission. I then take channel lock plyers and grab linkage on side of transmission and go back n forth til something inside of transmission let's go allowing it to go into park at transmissio...then I hook back up shift column linkage and get back in and start truck...it shifts into all gears then but won't go into park until I shut truck off and get back under truck and repeat whole procedure I've explained again..

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is the shift arm on the trans loose at all?

k ryan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock 15"
Is the shift arm on the trans loose at all?
No....it seems something internal in transmission...I've found parts schematics of tyranny online but the diagram relieved is unclear but by following what I could see it appears that the problem may be back by the park pawl at rear of tyranny inside where internal mechanical linkage goes towards the rear...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you remove the cable from the shift lever on transmission go back in the cab and see if you can shift it to Park first, before trying to move the shift lever
Just seeing if interlock or shift tube is the issue

k ryan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock 15"
The cable n column shift operate like it should.. it's definitely something that binds internally but with linkage to column unhooked you can use large Cresent wrench, channel locks to grip linkage where cable attaches and jiggle it back n forth then all of sudden it will shift into all gears including park...which park is what it won't shift into until you perform described operation...once started again it will shift to any gear but won't go back into park...the transmission will shift as should thru the gears without a flaw...it just won't shift into park once it is placed into any of the drive gears or reverse without shutting off truck n performing the procedure described above...I don't think it's in valve body...it seems mechanically related to something internal that the external linkage operates.. nothing binds or keeps it from going into park with the cable detached from transmission...the shifter n column all works smoothly then...

k ryan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock 15"
Also external linkage on transmission is not loose n you can feel the detents perform as should while going thru the gears underneath...

k ryan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Stock 15"
When you remove the cable from the shift lever on transmission go back in the cab and see if you can shift it to Park first, before trying to move the shift lever
Just seeing if interlock or shift tube is the issue
No....it's not an issue within shift tube r interlock. All that works fine when cable is off of the transmission....it's definitely inside the transmission...is there anything internal associated with the mechanical linkage to the park pawl...hope I spelled that correctly...that may have broken r possibly a spring that broke that could prevent the pawl from lining up to hold truck in park....it seems to be related to whatever holds the truck from movement while in park

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: Ford Transmission Tips: #1 Parking Pawls- What They Are & How They Work

If you drop the pan you can see the shaft that goes to rear of transmission that moves the "hammer" to lock and unlock output shaft/driveshaft
With wheels blocked!!!
You should be able to move the shifter in and out of PARK and see what is hanging up

Google: How to ford 4R55E transmission tail housing and park linkage

Watch the video it shows the setup for A4LD(what you have) which is the same as the 4R and 5R later model transmissions
You can remove the tailshaft housing as well, just 6 or 8 bolts, but need to support engine/transmission at bell housing end

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals