• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 with heater issue

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
1994 2.3, non-a/c truck, engine getting warmed up, hoses to heater core hot, fan works but air is only mildly warm, heat/cold lever moves fully in both directions but blend door lever stops at floor/defrost, wont go all the way to the far right (defrost only) couldnt really see anything wrong when i took off the access cover to the heater core. not sure if its a door issue or a heater core issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heater core needs to be pulled out
Flip it upside down then shake it, you will most like hear coolant still inside because it is plugged up, replace it

Blend door is the COLD-HOT lever, just FYI, it is cable operated in 1994 models
If you open glove box and then fold it down all the way you can see Blend Door control with cable attached, move Temp Lever to make sure it is moving
When heater core is out you can feel the Door and test for movement as well

Vent control lever operates Vacuum "Motors", vacuum solenoids really, this has nothing to do with temperature control, thats a separate issue.
If lever doesn't move full range then something is wrong in that panel, probably need a new panel.

If lever moves but vent stays on Defrost then Vacuum reservoir or vacuum hose in engine bay is probably damaged.
Defrost Vent selection = no vacuum, so all vacuum "motors" are off
So if there is no vacuum coming from the engine bay at panel then Defrost is default

That lever selects vacuum hoses which open and close directional vent flaps when vacuum is applied or removed

On the passenger side of engine bay there will be a Black vacuum line coming from the firewall and it runs up to top Blower housing, to a Black Cylinder, thats the vacuum reservoir in a 1994.
Other hose on that reservoir should run to the intake manifold, it may have "T's" with other vacuum hoses, check them all for leaks

Pull off the line that goes to firewall and suck on it, it should hold pressure, no leaks

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
turns out it wasnt quite warm enough, and heater core was plugged. spent half the day getting the bracket for the power steering loose from the block so the timing belt cover could be moved enough to get to the one thermostat housing bolt, new thermostat and heater core on, had to run to autozone twice, the serpintine tensionor was seized and needed a new one, somehow i got the wrong one- and of course the right one was more money.... got it all back together and had a pinhole in the piping that is welded to the themostat housing where the hose attaches, about a 1/2 in below the hose, pinhole of coolant streaming right at the fan, then spraying everywhere, back to the parts store, no housing assy in stock, so being a fan of macgyver i took a peice of heater hose, split it and put around the neck over the leak with a hose clamp. $5 instead of $35 right there.... plus i didnt have to mess with that p/s bracket again. doors still need help but it is blowing hot air to the windshield and my feet, so i will just call it good for now. took most of the day and was starting to rain as i put tools up. 100 dollar day, but have heat now.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals