• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 4.0 Explorer XLT 4x4 Getting it back on the road

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got the vacuum gauge today and checked the EGR line and it read, well, never even moved.
At the main vacuum line into the intake it was a -17

Where I put the code was P0104 it had actually been P0174

The thing is missing pretty badly, and reeks of gas vapor, and guzzles it like a whale

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The weather finally cleared a bit and I got back under the hood.
Took the fan belt off and started it up, has a loud hiss near top the motor.
I pulled the vacuum line off the intake and put my thumb over the hole.
Still has the miss and the hiss.
I'm supposing it may be an intake leak that may have got disturbed when I was trying to work those plug wires around to the drivers side, and leaned on it quite a bit while working around up there. It's made of plastic, I wasn't sure about that at first. Do the gaskets on it fail so easily that they would be disturbed by leaning around on it and such? I rather doubt they've been recently replaced

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In addition to my previous post, here's about where I'm at now.
In reverse the transmission doesn't growl so much, it is at least working, but not really well. I think it may be the pump, because it must be either under firm acceleration or coasting for it to operate smoothly. Simply maintaining speed allows the engine to lug and the transmission to constantly groan. Then giving it the gas increases RPM and it takes hold again.
I'll likely wind up having to pull the transmission, or maybe hope to find one in a wrecking yard that still works, but I'm starting to run short of money and not sure how well that would work anyway.

I'm hoping intake gaskets will help stop the vacuum leak, it's going through at least 2 times the gas it should be

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I'd do the intake gaskets. I had a P0171/P0174 a while back and the upper intake gaskets had failed. Didn't hear the hissing but they were toast when I took the plenum off. I'm assuming the 96 4.0 has the upper and lower gaskets too?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think maybe so Blue, The set goes to the valve cover gaskets(do those need a sealant? I can't remember but think not) Any idea what sealant the other gaskets need?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
I used no sealant on any of them. I think the plenum gaskets were actually that o-ring style if I remember correctly. I used Felpro. I remember the plenum had to be manipulated or rotated a bit to get it off the EGR tube. I think the tube went up and turned so not a straight pull off. EGR tube had a big o-ring that I reused without issues.

I have leaky valve covers but mine are still the originals.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
I looked up the set I got and it was just the upper intake gaskets. The lowers do use an RTV sealant that usually is included with the set. I'd imagine its just a typical oil resistant RTV like the Permatex black or gray versions.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The engine also is backfiring into the manifold during any excessive acceleration

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well yesterday I ordered a set of intake manifold and valve cover gaskets from auto zone and today went by there to pick them up. The box was sealed all around with a wide brown shipping tape, and although the box wasn't bent or scuffed I insisted on cutting the tape and inspecting the gaskets. They didn't slide out easily, was some crinkled brown paper in there too.
It had two long 6-hole ones, I suppose for the intakes, two valve cover gaskets, and 6 (i think) little odd shaped rubber looking things( I suppose for the fuel injectors?)
One of the long 6-hole ones had been crinkled in the middle, and the narrow strip between the two holes looked in pretty bad condition due to being bent somehow.

I told them if I'm going to take presumed possibly leaky gaskets off, I'd rather not replace them with known leaky ones, and that I'd have to reject the package. They didn't object, but I left there without any.
On into the days trip I checked 6 parts stores and none had anything close on hand so this afternoon I called Twilight Zone again and asked them to order me another set for tomorrow.

There might be 2 more days of decent weather before the next front blows in here with cold and rain, so I'm hoping to get something resolved with this motor in that time.

A major problem is I'm not even sure what I'm shooting at, just that I've got a suddenly very rough running engine, and due to the sound appears to be an air leak somewhere. I've tried going over it spraying starter fluid in all the nooks and cranny's but to no avail.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
If you want to get an idea of what the assorted gaskets look like, just go to Rock Auto and have a look at their selection. I do this all the time even if I don't order from them. The info on the site is pretty good and most items have pics.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been there sir, and looked them over well. The only reason I hadn't bought theirs was it would cost me these 3 days of precious sunshine.
Now it looks like I've lost them anyway, unless the package TZ offers me tomorrow is unblemished from the get-go

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've about bombed out on the intake gaskets. I like the prices better on the Rock Auto and JC Whitney websites but find their catalogues rather awkward to navigate. I've never much ordered parts online and I'm not certain their delivery will bring less smashed up parts than the locals have, and at least w/ the locals it's still sitting on their counter when I see it, so I've kinda just punted on that one for now.

I did manage to get a bit of wrench time on it today though.
Will these O2 sensors from the 93 Ranger 4.0 do well enough on the 96 Explorer 4.0?

I also made another attempt at the shifter adjustment, this time going also into the steering column, but after getting there didn't see how to get to it, later looked back at my notes and maybe missed it by not having pulled the locking mechanism. I did see though they've done some creative wiring in there

Also while routing the O2 sensors had to pull the RF tire and found the rotor to look rather heated I suppose? It almost appears they've never touched them before, but the pads were not badly worn. They said they'd had the front end rebuilt, and it does run very true, but all I can see that really looks much different from the rest is the outer CV joint

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Today I got one more nice afternoon to tinker with it.
Finally found the vacuum leak, seemed to be at the bottom of the IAC valve. I took it off and cleaned it up a bit but didn't seem to help. Took the less than year old valve off the Ranger and although they're arranged a bit different it woulda bolted up, but the plugs weren't interchange-able, so I used the paper gasket from it on the Explorer and snugged it up, then went on to town.
Seems to be considerably better, doesn't spit back near as much under load and seems to have more power. Filled it up, used 8.9 gallons going the last 98 miles, less than 11 mpg, maybe better next time
Priced an IAC gasket @ ABC Auto, $13 for the gasket, $42 for the Valve w/gasket, brand was Standard, Motorcraft valve $172.

Finally got the 5th shock a few days ago, rear damper, got it put on.
Looks like someone used a jack under the front fender post just in front of the RF door to raise the vehicle, goofed things up here a good bit.

I had already pulled the front runner piece in and ran a screw into it before going to an extended family Thanksgiving early November, but added a couple more trying to secure the wheel well a bit better

Looks like I need a few more pieces in there too

The right rear spring also has some damage from something

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Today I got one more nice afternoon to tinker with it.
Finally found the vacuum leak, seemed to be at the bottom of the IAC valve. I took it off and cleaned it up a bit but didn't seem to help. Took the less than year old valve off the Ranger and although they're arranged a bit different it woulda bolted up, but the plugs weren't interchange-able, so I used the paper gasket from it on the Explorer and snugged it up, then went on to town.
Seems to be considerably better, doesn't spit back near as much under load and seems to have more power. Filled it up, used 8.9 gallons going the last 98 miles, less than 11 mpg, maybe better next time
Priced an IAC gasket @ ABC Auto, $13 for the gasket, $42 for the Valve w/gasket, brand was Standard, Motorcraft valve $172.

Finally got the 5th shock a few days ago, rear damper, got it put on.
Looks like someone used a jack under the front fender post just in front of the RF door to raise the vehicle, goofed things up here a good bit.
View attachment 34361

I had already pulled the front runner piece in and ran a screw into it before going to an extended family Thanksgiving early November, but added a couple more trying to secure the wheel well a bit better
View attachment 34362

Looks like I need a few more pieces in there too
View attachment 34363

The right rear spring also has some damage from something
View attachment 34365View attachment 34366View attachment 34367
You sure that's the original springs under the main leaf? The long one looks too long for stock. I also don't like how its digging in at the curve of the main spring eye, that's a crack waiting to happen.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You sure that's the original springs under the main leaf? The long one looks too long for stock. I also don't like how its digging in at the curve of the main spring eye, that's a crack waiting to happen.
I saw it on FB marketplace and after a few messages back and forth pretty much decided I'd get it if the motor looked good when I got there. They said it had a good engine and bad transmission, which I pretty much found to be true. Somewhere in the transaction He mentioned something about the rear springs but can't remember exactly what it was. They had it less than a year, and it may have been through a number of owners but I didn't see any reason to believe it had been abused. He said maybe "you're not gonna like" or maybe that he didn't like what they had done to the rear springs, but I didn't question what he meant.
Are they hard to swap out?

The motor was doing great until I ran those ornery plug wires, and possibly leaned a bit to heavily on the manifold, hadn't fully realized then it was plastic, hope I didn't crack it. Or maybe just the IAC, I think it's two piece, and possibly loosened the crimp between them, but haven't examined it well since that scenario crossed my mind.

I'll get that cheaper IAC and see if it helps lose the vacuum leak. I don't know much about ABC Auto parts, or the Standard brand

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals