• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 8 Sparkplug Wire order HELP!?

Goatspunk

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
To make a very long story short, I need to know which plugs go to which holes on the ESD (i think it's ESD, probably wrong though). I know that the 4 on the passenger side go to the rear ESD block, and the driver side goes to the front ESD block. Finding which ones go where though has proven to be another problem. Could anyone go out and look at their 8plug setup and give me the correct order? I've devised this handy dandy MS Paint cheat sheet to make things easier: http://cityhicks.com/miscpics/rangerplugorder.JPG

You can email it back to me and I will re-host the picture so when another person has my problem they can look at this thread for the answer.

Thanks!

Sean
goatspunk@gmail.com

Goatspunk

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, just something like 1A, 2C.... etc. would work just as well.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Clockwise on rear coil starting on top left looking down on coil: 3,1,4,2

Clockwise on front coil starting on top left looking down on coil: 4,2,3,1

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
The coils are marked, or more correctly, the ones that I have here are marked. As long as you have the correct coil in each pack wired to the correct pair of cylinders your good to go.

In other words, Plum Ranger XLT's first coil pattern could just as easily be 2,4,1,3 (one coil in the pack fires #2+3 and the other fires #1+4. You will also note from his numbers that the coil packs are the same but one faces the front and the other faces the rear and since it really doesn't matter which coil pack is wired to which side of the engine you could even swap the wires on the packs. Just keep all 4 plugs on each side wired to their own pack.

Anybody confused yet? :icon_confused:

The wiring diagram is a good idea but the cylinders, in your depiction (sp?) should be numbered 1-4 from bottom to top, since the bottom would be the front of the engine.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Whats there to be confused about? Its a 4-banger with two coil packs and 8 spark plugs. Some others would found it hard to believe. :icon_cheers:

According to the haynes manual. It should be something like this

Rear Pack
3 1
2 4

4 2
1 3
Front Pack

Firing order 1-3-4-2

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I'd forgotten about that page. It needs to have the coils identified for left and right side plugs but is OK otherwise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals