• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 4 cyl auto tranny in a 98 3.0 V6

gharmon

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi fellow, I am sure this question as been answered many times before but after my quick search I didn't notice any info for me. I don't have the extra time to weed thru 10+ pages of search results. Anyway, I have a 98 ext cab 2wd ranger that the trans went out in. I heard a pop one day when backing up and going into drive to take off. It did that one more time over the course of a couple days. When I returned home I have to come of this little hill and the truck barely made it the next 200ft to get into the dtive way. I lost all forward gears. If you rev it really high is will move a little bit forward. Reverse works fine. I assume this is a toasted tranny correct?

Second question I have a 97 4 cycle regular cab auto tranny that i both from my 91 y/o granddad. Motor is shot but the tranny still worked fine. My understanding from my research is that the 95-00 all pretty much the same (of is it 95-98). I know the one visible difference is the manual speedo. What is needed to put this tranny is the 98? Is it as simple as swapping over the cable and using the 98's cluster? How about changing tailhousing ( and whatever is internally used) out on the 97 to the 98? Whats my best bet? Which torque convertor would i use or does is matter?

Thanks,

Gerald

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bellhousing is different, not sure about torque converter.

I'm assuming the 97 has a 4R44E and the 98 has a 5R44E? I'm not sure if you can swap bellhousings.

I'm also not sure about the speedo stuff. I believe the newer trucks speedometer is electronically controlled by a tone ring on the rear axle rather than a cable in the trans - if that is true then you could just plug the hole in the older trans and not worry about it at all.

I would certainly not use the torque converter from your 98 even if it does fit. The likelihood of broken junk floating around in the fluid and inside the torque converter itself is pretty good. I would buy a new one if the 4 cylinder one does not fit.

You could always trade off the '98 for a good engine for the '97... or trade the '97 for a good trans for the '98.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1995 to 2000 4cyl and 3.0l Rangers used the same MODEL of automatic transmission, the 4R44E, thats a MODEL not what it fits, like Ranger is a Ford model, but "Ranger" doesn't tell you if its 2WD, or 4x4, or regular cab or super cab, its just the "model"

The 4R44E model had 4 sub-models,
4cyl with speedo drive, 1995-1997
4cyl no speedo drive 1998-2000
3.0l with speedo drive
3.0l no speed drive

The 4cyl 4R44E won't bolt to the 3.0l engine, and this would be your problem, yes you can swap bell housings they are the same except for bolt pattern to engine
But bell housing is also the case for the front pump inside the transmission so, can be harder to swap than just 8 bolts
Might be better to sell the 4cyl 4R44E and use that money to buy a 3.0l 4R44E

The speedo thing is not an issue if you have a 1998-2000 Ranger, speedometer uses rear axle ABS sensor not transmission drive, so you can use 1995-2000 4R44E from a 2WD Ranger 3.0l or Mazda B3000
Can't use 4x4 4R44E

4cyl and 3.0l used the 5R44E from 2001 and up

The 4.0l Rangers, used the 4R55E 1995-1997 then used the 5R55E 1998 and up

gharmon

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that info. I will just buy a 95-2000 3.0. tranny and a 4cyclinder engine for the 97. both are decent trucks. what year 4 cyl will fit my 97 most closely?

Thanks for the info guys.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can only use a 1995-1997 2.3l 4cyl, from Ranger or Mazda B2300 of same 3 years
1994 and earlier won't work
1998-2001 2.5l 4cyl can be used but different fuel system, but "I think" you could swap intakes/injectors over, not sure

gharmon

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Two part question here. I am having a little trouble finding a suitable auto trans replacement within driving distance. If you have a donor vehicle how much is needed to convert the auto to a stick trans? Obviously, you need the trans, flywheel, bellhousing, linkage, slave cylinder, shifter and plate, cable, pedals etc. What else is needed. I have converted old fox body stangs from auto to manual and you could retain the computer in those. How about these? Any need to change the computer? Am I missing anything else?

Second questions, are the 4r44e's easily rebuilt or is it not worth the hassle. I have never done an auto but I have done several manuals and know my way around a toolbox. Is it something that is doable for the average guy and is is cost effective? My tranny basically lost all forward gears. Reverse is fine. Chunk or give it a go. BTW it had 309k miles on it.

Thanks,

Gerald

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The basic design of the 4R44E was used from 1985 to 2011 so 26 years, a good automatic design or Ford would have dumped it

It was the A4LD from 1985 to 1994, then got a new valve body and became the 4R, 1995-2000, then got newer computer software and became the 5R, 2001 to 2011
When ordering parts you will often see "fits: A4LD, 4R44E/4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E" because most of the internal parts are the same, but not ALL
Certainly worth rebuilding for sure, loads of info on what must be replaced, like pump and OD drum
Trans shops often just do a soft parts rebuild which pretty much guaranties trans problems within 18 months, so trans stays a money maker for them.

Yes, Manual swaps were easier when automatics were only vacuum and RPM controlled, lol

Yes, the computer controlled automatics are much better but they do have extra computer software that should be deleted when manual trans is installed, or swap computers
You can use the same computer, doesn't effect driving, just idle can wander and the Check Engine Light will be on all the time, because computer software doesn't "see" automatics solenoids any more.

You also need to swap out steering column to get rid of the auto shifter, optional for sure but does look goofy, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals