• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 5 Speed Stuck in reverse

Kroeter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My 97 Ranger is now stuck in reverse. The gear shift is in neutral and will not go into any gear but the transmission stays in reverse. With the clutch in it will roll.

Had a new clutch put in not too long ago!!!

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I doubt the problem is the clutch.

I would start by pulling the shift lever and then take the shifter 'ball' (the part the lever is bolted to) out and see if it is broken. There should be a short lever on the bottom of the ball that engages the shift rails. My first guess is that might have broken off when you were in reverse.

If that is not the problem, then the trans might have to come out so you can pop the top off and see what is going on inside.

If it is stuck in reverse, can you engage any other gear? If you are able to, that will lock the transmission and nothing will turn. If you can do that then the shifter ball is probably ok and the problem could be in the shift rail for the reverse gear.

It also occurrs to me that the reverse/5th shift fork is on the bottom of the transmisson and is activated by a lever that is bolted to the driver's side of the transmission case. If the problem is in that linkage, then you should be able to shift into another gear and lock the transmission up.

BTW, I would NOT test the transmission lockup by engaging engine power. I would jack the rear end up and try turning a rear wheel or drive shaft.

Kroeter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Mechanic friend got in from the top and popped it out from between gears with a scewdriver. said it was stuck between gears?? I'm not real knowledgeable of the transmission but it has been back up and running for a couple months. 240,000 and still going.... KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!

onecoolone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have same proble4m only i cant get it out of gear

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have same proble4m only i cant get it out of gear
Welcome to TRS :)

You should start your own thread(post)

Assuming a manual transmission
If you have a 1989 2WD 4cyl or V6 Ranger you will have a M5OD-R1 transmission OR as Mitsubishi FM132
If 4x4 then will be a Mitsubishi FM146 transmission

You need to pull out the shifter and have a look inside
You should see 3 shift rails, 1-2, 3-4, 5-R
All 3 must be in the middle(neutral)
And truck should then roll with out clutch pedal in

If a shift rod breaks or shift fork then trans will be stuck "in gear" because that shift rod can't go to Neutral(center)
Transmission is designed so only 1 shift rod can be "in gear" at a time, it must be moved back to Center before a new gear can be selected

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I agree. Assuming an M5OD (like Ron said if a 4 cylinder (all 4 cylinders after '88 were M5OD) or some V6's) if you pull the shift boot (4 screws) then the nut on the bottom of the shift lever and tighten it on the other side to undo the pinch bolt the shifter will come off, from there I think you can see the 3 screws on the shift seal, take those out then the shifter will pop out and you can see the shift rails like Ron is talking about.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals