• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 ac ?

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I started my truck this morning to let it warm up (as I do on the cold days), and when I got back in I smelled a faint odor, almost electrical. The truck's wiring hasn't been tampered with, except for an aftermarket stereo, that's working fine. I did notice my ac compressor not kicking in when I hit the defrost or the ac settings on the controls. It's supposed to warm up a bit Wednesday, so I'll dig into it a bit, but wanted to get some opinions where to start looking.
Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Smells are mostly impossible to do over the interwebs. It could be the evap core is leaking. I have heard that smell described as electrical by some people, but I never thought they were right. Look at the drain for dye is the first thing to do.

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Smells are mostly impossible to do over the interwebs. It could be the evap core is leaking. I have heard that smell described as electrical by some people, but I never thought they were right. Look at the drain for dye is the first thing to do.

Thanks. I was hoping there were a couple "common" failure points to start with. Sorry for the newb question, but where would I find the drain for the evap core? Did they put dye in the system from the factory?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
The drain is in the bottom of the evaporator box by your blower motor. My core stater leaking on the very bottom seam in my 98 and was hard to find because no oil was coming out of the drain. I had to sniff it with a freon detector to find the leak. When I pulled the evaporator core out it was covered with oil and dirt on the bottom.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They did put dye in at the factory, and pretty much any time the system is recharged it will get dye put in, the problem is that most dyes break down in the system and become invisible in 3 to 6 months.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals