• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 dome light questions

Sigpros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So on my sons ranger the dome light doesn’t come on when you open the door or roll the switch up on the dash. But I can push the lever either way and the light comes on. Also it doesn’t chime when the door is open or you leave the keys in it. I’m not sure if it is supposed to or not? Any ideas where to start to get it working for him?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"lever"?
The switch on the dome light?

1997 will have two door switches on each door
One in the door jamb on body side and one inside the door, on the latch

1998 and up just have the one inside the door, on the latch, and it would often fail, get stuck from getting dirt inside because its at the bottom of the latch

What Year Ranger are we talking about, i.e. "son's Ranger"

When you turn Dimmer all the way up does the rear cargo light come on?

Last edited:

Sigpros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It is a 97 sorry I left that off. Ya the lever on the dome light. The lens is missing and there is a little black piece you can move either way and which ever way you push it the bulb closest will come on. But nothing when you open the door or turn The dimmer up it doesn’t come on. I will see if the cargo light comes on I didn’t check that

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The dimmer switches are picky when they haven't been used much to turn on the dome light, once you get to full bright there's a rough detent to get past that feels like you're going to break the switch to get past... I don't like doing it on my Ranger or '98 Explorer, the '00 Explorer seems to be easier if memory serves (I usually use the map lights on those...) my rocker switch stopped turning on the light and the cargo light doesn't work, haven't looked into it...

My '97 Ranger just has the switch in the door latch, no button in the door jamb... to get to the switch in the latch it's probably easiest to get the latch out, it's just the 3 screws right there, the door lock deal and the two linkages in the door, it's been a few years but I don't remember it being too bad... the switch is just held in with a single screw, spray it with WD 40 or electric parts cleaner... I think I have my spare door latch for one of the explorers, Thursday I could take a pic...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Other notes, on that dome light there's 3 bulbs, I think it is supposed to turn on all 3 when the doors are open, the center one when you roll the dimmer switch and the indicator switch to go between the two sides...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would add some people disconnect them, that's what I do
I leave the switches working but to open a door I disconnect those, just never did like the light coming on when it wasn't wanted ;)
The door I just pull the wire going from the dash to the door, usually just right there at the doorjamb if you're looking for places to check

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1997 XLT you should have 3 bulbs in the dome light fixture

The 2 controlled by the switch/lever are not part of the door open/closed system, OR the Dimmer wheel switch

Only 1 of the 3 bulbs is controlled by door switch and dimmer wheel, and it reads like its burned out(or missing?)

Attachments

Sigpros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well it must be missing. This is how the light looks. We did not take the cover off we got the truck like this. We need to get a cover for it. When we turn the dimmer switch on the rear cargo light does come on so maybe we just need a bulb? Also I took some pics of the inside of the door. We will be taking the door panel off since the handle needs some attention
Sorry I was late getting the pics. Trying to get a clutch in his tractor before he leaves for some more training this weekend

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, those things were kinda a crappy design, the lens was originally held on by the reflector which was plastic welded to the white housing... pretty much every one I've seen has been broken, I drilled some holes in the reflector and zip tied it to the white base, I'll see about getting some pics up tonight since they're at home...

It looks like you are missing the contacts for the center bulb all together as it uses the bulbs that look kinda like a big glass fuse.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
In 1997 XLT you should have 3 bulbs in the dome light fixture

The 2 controlled by the switch/lever are not part of the door open/closed system, OR the Dimmer wheel switch

Only 1 of the 3 bulbs is controlled by door switch and dimmer wheel, and it reads like its burned out(or missing?)
Did that change? (the diagram isn't rendering very clear for me)
My buddy's '93 Supercab had all three bulbs come on when the door is opened or the dimmer turned to the detent, the switch on the lamp itself turned each side on individually.

We modified the switch lever to turn the light (all 3 bulbs) "On", "On w/door open", or "Off" since Ford failed to provide an Off option.

It looks like you are missing the contacts for the center bulb all together as it uses the bulbs that look kinda like a big glass fuse.
Looks like it's a Regular cab truck... Reg cabs did not get a center bulb (my '94 doesn't have one either).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Interesting, that would make sense though, those 3 bulbs are BRIGHT, I remember taking a bulb out for some reason if I remember right but I don't think I liked how uneven it was in my extended cab...

as for pictures of my fix for the lens (I found the lens and reflector on the floorboard of a Ranger in a junkyard, mine was missing when I got it), you can kinda see where I drilled some holes and zip tied to the base in areas that the zipties wouldn't melt:

20210112_181300.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The XL(or fleet) models just had the one bulb dome light, no switch on it

XLT got added "Map Lights" for each side, and a larger fixture with a switch

There is no reason it couldn't be wired for all 3 bulbs to come on with door open or Dimmer switch activated
But it could also be wired, as in the diagram, where just the center 1 bulb is activated

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Have you checked fuses?

I maybe wrong but i bet the dinger is on the same circuit as the lights that come on when you open the door.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals