• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Explorer Wheels/Tires on 89 Ranger Extended Cab 4x4

Goodspike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 89 Ranger STX Extended cab still in good condition, but the tires are old. My SIL is junking a 97 Explorer with nearly new tires--only a few months old.

The Ranger has 215/75/15 tires on 6x15 wheels is a 12 offset.
The Explorer has 235/75/15 tires on 7x15 wheels with a 25 offset. The bolt pattern is apparently the same.

I'm thinking of trying a swap before taking it to the junk yard, getting rid of some even older snow tires on steel rims. I would retain the original aluminum wheels.

Anyone see any issues besides speedometer calibration and maybe a bit more strain on the bearings? Just eyeballing it I'm not seeing any major clearance issues, but the back seems better than the front.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
the fronts may want to rub at full steering lock on raduis arms and front anti-sway bar close to the frame. only one way to know for sure- bolt ‘em on & see.

Goodspike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the fronts may want to rub at full steering lock on raduis arms and front anti-sway bar close to the frame. only one way to know for sure- bolt ‘em on & see.
Yeah, it's the fronts I'm concerned about. I suspect worst case I'll be able to ditch the old snow tires and steel rims and then find a buyer for the Explorer tires/wheels.

Goodspike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turns out it works! At the extreme turning radius there is more than a finger-width space between any inside suspension part on the front. Seems to give a slightly heavier feel on the steering wheel. Surprisingly it seems to climb the hills that were marginal in 4th just as well, and going past one of those radar speed things the speedometer did not seem to be off! I can't explain the latter.

The only thing is the lug nuts for the Explorer are necessary for the hub covers, and the hub covers obviously don't deal with manual locking hubs. If I'd known that I would have bought some new lug nuts beforehand, because I do want to keep my originals.

I know this isn't an Explorer forum, but the issue probably comes up with newer Rangers too. Does anyone know of hub covers that do work with manual hubs?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Some of the 4x4 hub covers have a hole for the hubs to stick out.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
do some measurements and get out the sabre saw. I did the same with some centers off of some jeep wrangler steel wheels once.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I woulda recommended swapping rims to keep your original ones

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The open-ended cover Ranger850 posted was used on '95-'97 4x4 Rangers... Three styles were offered: a silver-painted one for the base steel wheels, and two chromed ones, one being for the "deer-hoof" style alloy wheels, the other for "teardrop" alloy wheels. The teardrop style wheel w/open-end cover was only used on STX Rangers of the above vintage, so they might be hard to find outside of Ebay or Car-Part.com if that's what your Explorer wheels are.

I'd just cut the centers out of two of the ones you have. A Dremel or similar tool I suspect would also work well for this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals