• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger 2.5 no heat

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've been pulling my hair out over this, maybe someone else has run into it before, it had sat neglected for some time and the coolant was rather rusty when I purchased it a few years ago, I just did a drain and refill at the time and it was okay until this winter. I was noticing that I was getting pretty terrible heat in my truck, I flushed the cooling system and heater core until I had clean water coming out no matter which way I ran it through the system, refilled with new coolant and bled the system. Problem got worse, temp gauge would not move at all, or very little, tested radiator cap (it was bad) replaced it, replaced the thermostat because I figured it may have picked up some garbage when I flushed it out, it looked fine but swapped it out anyway. No change... Checked the live data and coolant temp in a 70 degree shop as around 135 degrees at idle, if I hold rpm at a steady 2800ish rpm I can get coolant temp up to about 180 degrees with a stock 192 degree thermostat. looked at mitchell online to see if maybe there was a bleed screw I was missing, to no avail. All of the hoses get warm, and there is a temp difference between the hoses going into the heater core, truck is not equipped with ac and does not have a bypass valve. When the coolant temp is hot I get good heat output from the dash vents too. All I can figure is that maybe the thermostat housing has distorted and the thermostat does not seal correctly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals