• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger Rear Brake Line Broken

smythcounty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 ranger 4.0 and I have a leak on my rear brake line on the drivers side where it connects to a rubber line. I've been able to trace it back inside the frame rail and it goes in behind the gas tank and I cannot locate it past that. Does this line go all the way back to the master cylinder? I can't get it out of the clips its in and was going to just snake a new line all the way from the rear to the front. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
there is a union/fitting about under the drivers door. its possible to snake a new line in, if you have really small hands. it helps if the gas tank is loosened and shifted slightly.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's not hard to do it exactly how you proposed. I've done it a few times. It's best if you can cap the end of the line so nothing gets into it while snaking it up there.

smythcounty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So did you bypass the union and go all the way to the master cylinder?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Depends on a few factors. If the section in front of the union is ok and I just want it fixed quick, I'll go in at the union. If the forward section is rough, or if I am making my own line from scratch and have a whole roll I'll just do the whole thing.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Aside from the union... that line still doesn't go all the way to the master. It would end at the ABS unit.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Aside from the union... that line still doesn't go all the way to the master. It would end at the ABS unit.
True, on a 99 it would pass through the ABS unit. None of mine have ABS, so I don't usually worry about that on my own vehicles.

smythcounty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So where is the ABS unit generally located? I can trace it back but would like to have an idea where it is.
Thanks.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think it's usually on the frame rail. Keep following the line forward and you'll find it. If you get to the front bumper, you've gone too far.

smythcounty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I found a union near the front of the drivers door on the frame rail. I can’t get the brackets off that holds the line that are behind the gas tank so I'm leaving the line and going to snake the new one through. I measured the length and am I am going to the parts store tomorrow to get one of the pre-made bendable lines. The end going into the union was different than the end going into the rubber hose in the rear, it has like a plunger and then the bolt. Anyways, I cut both ends off so hopefully they can match something up. Thanks for all the help.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Okay I found a union near the front of the drivers door on the frame rail. I can’t get the brackets off that holds the line that are behind the gas tank so I'm leaving the line and going to snake the new one through. I measured the length and am I am going to the parts store tomorrow to get one of the pre-made bendable lines. The end going into the union was different than the end going into the rubber hose in the rear, it has like a plunger and then the bolt. Anyways, I cut both ends off so hopefully they can match something up. Thanks for all the help.
Without removing the tank it is often impossible to get the line out of it's retaining clips. It is more important that the line is attached to SOMETHING, than what it is actually attached to. I usually try to zip tie it to the fuel line or the wire harness, but not the old brake line, as contact with the corroded spots can cause the new one to rot out faster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals