• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger SAS with leafs. Best choice?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
So I wanna go d44 and a 9 inch. I'm gonna run leafs up front, and so I'm having trouble finding out which d44 to pick up. I want disc brakes for sure, and I need to be able to run leafs, and so as I understand it 78/79 have cast c wedges and so I couldn't run leafs on those, but older axles have drums up front... Also as far as leafs go what should I run? I want to go with 39.5 Iroks and I want to clear them good but don't wanna be too high, looking for mainly down travel rather than up travel.. Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated!

Another thing if anyone has input, are 5.38s weaker than 5.13s or is the difference negligible?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Or should I just go all out and run a d60/d70 combo

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Okay so I picked up a set of 05 super duty axles and I'm gonna run leafs on those. Now does anyone know what size spring id need to clear 41s? Got some info on 83-97 rangers, but they never stated what size tires they were running... Some said 2wd Chevy 52" springs, some said waggy springs...?

I don't want to cut fender but I guess it doesn't really matter considering the tires will be sticking way out anyways.

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I ran 38's on my ranger with waggy spring , for 41's u will have to cut fenders or be super tall

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I ran 38's on my ranger with waggy spring , for 41's u will have to cut fenders or be super tall
Did you run stock waggy springs or the rs44044 2" springs? I thought about it and I'm fine with cutting I don't want to be super tall, gets sketchy.

On the rear will Chevy 63s get me tall enough? Maybe a 2" block if need be or something?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Nice front bumper btw what brand is it? And I saw your build thread looks like it flexes out and clears fine.

Edit: nvm I found it in your thread. Also for that front crossmember is that just 4x6 that you welded on there? Got any measurements I could steal??

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So an update, they are actually 03 SD axles. Anyways i got the diffs tore down, just waiting on gears to get here then im gonna clean them up and stow them away so i can pull the ranger in the garage and get to cutting. So on the front axle im assuming im gonna have to get some frame outriggers to hang the leafs from and get my suspension all square. Just curious though how does one go about turning that cast into the housing 3" perch into a 2.5" perch. Could i possibly even grind away at the housing until the leafs line up with the frame? I guess it all depends on how everything lines up, wont know for sure until i get the front end all chopped up. Would grinding down 1/2" off that perch and redrill the pilot hole for the leaf pin be an option?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So an update, they are actually 03 SD axles. Anyways i got the diffs tore down, just waiting on gears to get here then im gonna clean them up and stow them away so i can pull the ranger in the garage and get to cutting. So on the front axle im assuming im gonna have to get some frame outriggers to hang the leafs from and get my suspension all square. Just curious though how does one go about turning that cast into the housing 3" perch into a 2.5" perch. Could i possibly even grind away at the housing until the leafs line up with the frame? I guess it all depends on how everything lines up, wont know for sure until i get the front end all chopped up. Would grinding down 1/2" off that perch and redrill the pilot hole for the leaf pin be an option?
this wont give you an exact answer but i do know that they make truss' for the super duty leaf sprung axles to go into a jk so you can use coils, in order to put them on you have to cut off part of the casting.

i would look into cutting away the casting section and maybe welding on a new perch. or doing what you were talking about. a half inch is not that much material and every dana 60 i have seen seems to have plenty of material in the cast section. the worst that will happen is you will have a hole you have to fill.

also idk that you would have to re-drill the pilot hole, if you ground down that extra half inch the 3" wide leaf should fit, and use the stock hole.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals