• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 Rear Axle

GreenMachine4.0

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, forgive me if this isn't the right place, but I have a question that I specifically registered here to ask.

I have a '99 Ranger, 4x4, 4.0L V6, and every piece of media I've read states that in the 4.0L V6 Rangers after 1998 all have the 8.8" rear axles with disc brakes. My issue, however, is my truck is equipped with the 7.5" rear axle with drum brakes. Does anyone have any insight as to why my truck has seemingly the wrong rear axle? The guy I bought it from had to do some front end work after a collision with a deer, but the truck was otherwise a farm truck, so I'm fairly certain the rear axle wasn't swapped.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What’s the axle code in the door sticker? That will tell you for sure what the truck was built with. If it was changed later, only the person who did it could tell you why.

here is some info about axle codes.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only the 2010 and 2011 Rangers have disc brakes on the rear.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey all, forgive me if this isn't the right place, but I have a question that I specifically registered here to ask.

I have a '99 Ranger, 4x4, 4.0L V6, and every piece of media I've read states that in the 4.0L V6 Rangers after 1998 all have the 8.8" rear axles with disc brakes. My issue, however, is my truck is equipped with the 7.5" rear axle with drum brakes. Does anyone have any insight as to why my truck has seemingly the wrong rear axle? The guy I bought it from had to do some front end work after a collision with a deer, but the truck was otherwise a farm truck, so I'm fairly certain the rear axle wasn't swapped.
I don't know where you are reading that at, Rangers never had rear discs until 2010, and all 4.0 Rangers came with the Ford 8.8 rear.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
All 4.0 powered trucks should have come with 8.8 rear axles from '90 on up. Some early 2000's FX4 Level II's had 31 spline shafts, everything else 28. Everything up to 2010 had 10" drum brakes, as mentioned '10 and '11 had discs.

My guess is that if you're SURE it's a 7.5, someone swapped it in. These trucks are at a minimum 12 years old now, yours is 24 years old, a lot can happen. It's almost impossible to say "all original" unless we bought our trucks new and know for sure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

As said above you have the wrong info on Rangers, Explorers did get rear disc brakes earlier

Good page to bookmark for Ranger info: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/
Check out the AXLE section

50% of 4x4 Rangers came with Limited Slip(L/S) rear axle
Previous owner may have swapped in a 7.5" L/S axle which would be better than an 8.8" OPEN axle
Jack up the rear wheels and spin one, if the other wheel spins in the same direction its an L/S axle, if other wheel spins in opposite direction then its an OPEN axle

You are better off with an L/S than OPEN axle regardless of the size

If you are going to replace rear axle then hold out for L/S model and it MUST match front axles ratio

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Previous owner may have swapped in a 7.5" L/S axle which would be better than an 8.8" OPEN axle
Jack up the rear wheels and spin one, if the other wheel spins in the same direction its an L/S axle, if other wheel spins in opposite direction then its an OPEN axle

You are better off with an L/S than OPEN axle regardless of the size
In what world is that true? I would want an 8.8 open axle over one with the crappy factory limited slip, and I would never want a 7.5 no matter what is in it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 has a 7.5. With 4.10 gears. It does no wrong. Supposedly an Open axle, but it doesn't act that way. With both wheels int he air, when I spin one, the other spins in the opposite direction, just like my 04 LIGHTNING with a L/S axle. If I only lift up one wheel, I cannot turn it. Prior to my friend's shop doing the 4.10 swap, that was not the case.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
My 98 has a 7.5. With 4.10 gears. It does no wrong. Supposedly an Open axle, but it doesn't act that way. With both wheels int he air, when I spin one, the other spins in the opposite direction, just like my 04 LIGHTNING with a L/S axle. If I only lift up one wheel, I cannot turn it. Prior to my friend's shop doing the 4.10 swap, that was not the case.
The clutches in your 04 LIGHTNING limited slip are worn.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
With LS or locker, they should spin same direction. Opposite direction is what open does.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If one wheel spins the opposite direction then you don't have a limited slip or the clutches are very worn out if you do have one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

You can make an OPEN rear differential act like an L/S if you ever get stuck, assuming you have a working E-brake system
OPEN differential powers the easiest to spin axle/wheel

So the wheel with the least traction just spins happily while the other wheel which might have more traction just sits there, lol
While the one wheel is spinning hold out E-brake release and slowly push down the E-brake pedal
What happens is the easiest wheel to spin now becomes harder to spin and the differential will start to transfer power to other other wheel, yes even though E-brake is also being applied to both wheels
The other wheel will start to turn and if it has traction you may just get out of being stuck
Its a bit of an art, but has got me unstuck a few times, in cars and trucks
Hand E-brakes are way easier to do this with, lol, especially with manual transmissions

Clutch pack L/S has both axles locked full time, so you have to add a friction modifier to allow the clutches to slip when cornering, otherwise rear end will "clunk" when cornering

Gear only L/S act like OPEN differential until one wheel starts to spin faster than the other, then they will transfer more power to the slower spinning wheel and away from the faster spinning wheel, you might notice the delay on snow or ice as the vehicle slides one way or the other until power is equal at both wheels

The clutch pack L/S do need the friction material changed, but not all that often
Gear only L/S just needs regular fluid changes(same as clutch pack) so one less thing to worry about in replacing friction material

Last edited:

GreenMachine4.0

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the information everyone, you've all been a big help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals