• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A bit of a fantasy, but...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's not a about steam, think about steampunk stuff.

I would created the heat using propane flames, and it would have a big water tank with asump and some sort of condensing system to return some water back into the tank.

Listen, people make miniature steam powered trains all the time, I'm simpley talking about bringing it into the medium scale between the small and the actual trains.
Ahhhhhhh, and here we have a critical issue. Heating with propane flames means you need a bigass propane tank, and I can almost guarantee using it to heat up water is less efficient than using in a combustion engine - I dont see any way of getting a good economy out of this.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so it's highly inefficient. I'm aiming at the cool factor.

Would there be another type of flammable gas to use in place of propane that would be able to burn longer at similar volumes? Basicly one that's safe to use but burns hotter.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
did anyone even read my link?? the issue of needing a heat source is entirely solved......no propane, no hydrogen, no coal

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did anyone even read my link?? the issue of needing a heat source is entirely solved......no propane, no hydrogen, no coal
You mean with the six-stroke engine?
That thing is so freakin' complicated its not even funny, and its still a combustion engine, just a 6 stroke engine now, utilizing steam on the 5/6 stroke.

Its not a STEAM engine, its still an internal combustion engine.

Lynx_Gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think a steam powered ranger would be bad-ass, especially if done it in steam-punk styling.

Efficiency, good or bad, be damned!

Like making big horsepower numbers doesn't drop the fuel efficiency to nil either.. lol

I would be surprised to see it work out to have plenty of power.. they still use steam powered trains in some places don't they? more of a novelty thing than anything..

as would this be. :D

As for the crower 6 stroke... that is confusing.. i just spent the last 2 weeks @ collage learning engine stuff.. mainly 4 stroke with a bit of touching on 2.. god i hope i don't have to start learning 6 stroke stuff as well!!! lol

As for fueling the burners.. one thing i did learn that diesel has about the highest energy rating outta most common and semi common fuels used for powering vehicles..

I also did some research into making a still for *Ahem* fuel (Ethanol) which can be made literally for free if done right, or for very cheap if done lazy. (Also the distillers tend to look awfully steampunkish themselves with all their shiny copper n stainless.. lol)

as it is, you could have a virtually free to run ranger..

but i don't know if that part of things would be overly feasible. lol

just a thought :D

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^Finally, someone who sees my dream for what it is :D

These are the only real problems-
1. Sustainable source from heat (NO internal combustion)
2. Water system for making the steam
3. The actual mechanical implimentation to the truck and a way for it to drive the wheels

As far as the fantastical location of the driving controls, thats the simplest part.

New Idea for sustainable heat source- electric heating coils fed by batteries hooked to solar panels. It's not steampunkish, but practical.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You could convert a burner from a home heating furnace to run on 12v. It would run on heating oil or diesel and you would have a burner that would develop 100,000 btu's or more, depending on size.
If you use a relatively small capacity boiler it would reduce the initial startup time. A steam generator would be even quicker but more difficult to implement. You'll also need some kind of injector pump to maintain the water level in the boiler (It'll be pushing in against boiler pressure remember).
For the mechanical part of the project you could probably convert any number of different motors (take your choice), three or more cylinders would be best and lubrication would be another concern. Valve gear is another thing that would have to be addressed but you could research 'stevenson valve gear' on the web and that should help you sort that out.
Something else you might want to check out is that you might need a steam engineers licence to operate it.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bunker crude or coal have the most BTU per lb or gallon, whichever way you want to measure.
steam can make lots of power, just ask the u.s. navy... or any fossil fueled power plant.
the navy subs and very large ships are all powered by steam.
a steam piston engine has a high maintenance factor, due to the design. you would need to design the rod and piston bearings to be lubed through the rods and drive wheels, as the engine is a open design. a closed design would build up to much pressure and separating the lube oil from the water, would require a centrifugal separator. to operate the boiler you would have to apply for and take a engineers license. with higher ratings for each increase in pressure. ie: 100 lb plant, 400 lb plant, 800 lb plant and so on. to get the best heat transfer you would have to build or have built a boiler with a super heater circuit. and of course the boiler must be built and tested by a certified boiler builder and inspector. the specific energy recovery is around 20-25%.
a gasoline automobile, i believe is somewhere in the high 70% energy efficiency rating now. they used to be much lower...
anyway a steam piston engine is just cool to hear. something you don't get with a steam turbine.
cc

sixty9oz

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
navy subs are either nuclear or diesel powered and very few ships still have steam engines anymore. Most use gas turbines (jet engines) and those use jet fuel which is a type of diesel itself. A few have steam for the generators but not many anymore either.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
navy subs are either nuclear or diesel powered and very few ships still have steam engines anymore. Most use gas turbines (jet engines) and those use jet fuel which is a type of diesel itself. A few have steam for the generators but not many anymore either.
you're both correct actually. Just like the big land based nuclear reactors, the reactor on a sub simply generates heat, used to boil water and turn a steam turbine, which generates electricity.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok,i'm entering into this whole thing a bit late,but i like it.so there.

Ok, so it's highly inefficient. I'm aiming at the cool factor.
cool factor wins every time.efficiency is fine and dandy for commuters,but how many enthusiasts are there for 'econobox monthly' out there?

You could convert a burner from a home heating furnace to run on 12v.
no need...12v burners are as common as dirt-my pressure washer has one in it.

i think a steam powered ranger would be bad-ass, especially if done it in steam-punk styling.

(Also the distillers tend to look awfully steampunkish themselves with all their shiny copper n stainless.. lol)
yah:icon_thumby:

Listen, people make miniature steam powered trains all the time, I'm simpley talking about bringing it into the medium scale between the small and the actual trains.
so get on it.whatchya waiting for,an ok from everyone on here?:icon_cheers:

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figured you'd be a supporter of such an idea, gwaii. As much as I'd love to make my steam powered doomsday device, I have neither the tools, expertise, nor monies to do so at current juncture. Especially not with a full size Ford in my driveway needing an engine.

It shall be done before I die though, rest assured.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, seeing as I'm going to be assassinated at 27, I probably should get on it. :icon_thumby:

Did I mention the ship's wheel steering yet? I'm too lazy to read my previous posts.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, seeing as I'm going to be assassinated at 27, I probably should get on it. :icon_thumby:.
don't count on that....i figured i'd be dead by the time i hit 25.it really screwwed up the last 22 years or so,i had no plans for them:shok:
Did I mention the ship's wheel steering yet? I'm too lazy to read my previous posts.
yup:icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals