• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C Compressor Clutch Engages with Heat on...?

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Hi everyone,

So I recently fixed my non working A/C in my 1997 Ranger. I had to replace the compressor and got the system recharged the other day and it now works great. This morning though, I went to turn the heat on as it was a little chilly and I thought I heard that subtle 'click' sound when the A/C compressor clutch engages. So I popped the hood, turned all the HVAC controls off, the clutch is not engaged as you'd think. Then I turned the blend knob to full heat and turned it onto the first setting to the right (blowing from all vents) and what do you know, the A/C compressor clutch engages. That just does not seem right to me, I don't see any reason why that should be happening. So my question is, is that supposed to happen? I wouldn't think so but maybe I'm wrong. And if it's not supposed to happen, what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It is suppose to happen... turning on the A/C is done to dry the air of moisture.

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
It is suppose to happen... turning on the A/C is done to dry the air of moisture.
Huh, I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day. So my next question then is, does anyone have a wiring diagram for either the HVAC control switch or the A/C system in general? The reason I ask is, I have an electric fan in the truck and when I fixed my A/C I added a manual switch to turn the fan on high speed because I thought I would only need to turn it on when I had the A/C running. So I would now like to re-wire it so that the fan automatically kicks on when the A/C compressor clutch is engaged. I'm imagining I should be able to tap into the wiring that plugs right into the compressor, I imagine one of those wires is the power and one is ground for the clutch. I'll see if I can figure it out with a multi-meter, if not I'd definitely appreciate some advice!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, running the defrost is dependent on the AC compressor too.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found on my 93 that just going half-way into defrost will dry your windows and not engage the a/c

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals