• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C cuts out after idling, works fine after restart

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Ok, it's August in TN, so it's supposed to be hot. Ambient temperature around 94, heat index probably close to 100, humid, etc. I'm in line to pick my girl up from school, idling in the sun for 15 minutes or so and the A/C seems to be doing pretty well. I know it's struggling due to low air flow through the condenser (idling). Suddenly hot air starts blowing through the vents.

I roll the windows down and shut the truck off, thinking "This is just what I need right now". Kid gets in the truck stating the obvious ("It's HOT! Can you turn the air on?") So I give it a shot, and YAY! cool, dry air blows as normal. :yahoo: Whew!

Is there a cut off for the A/C if the engine gets to a certain temp or something? I know idling is not when the A/C does its best work, I just don't know if it's normal for it to just quit working like that and then work fine after sitting for a few minutes.

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, it's August in TN, so it's supposed to be hot. Ambient temperature around 94, heat index probably close to 100, humid, etc. I'm in line to pick my girl up from school, idling in the sun for 15 minutes or so and the A/C seems to be doing pretty well. I know it's struggling due to low air flow through the condenser (idling). Suddenly hot air starts blowing through the vents.

I roll the windows down and shut the truck off, thinking "This is just what I need right now". Kid gets in the truck stating the obvious ("It's HOT! Can you turn the air on?") So I give it a shot, and YAY! cool, dry air blows as normal. :yahoo: Whew!

Is there a cut off for the A/C if the engine gets to a certain temp or something? I know idling is not when the A/C does its best work, I just don't know if it's normal for it to just quit working like that and then work fine after sitting for a few minutes.
Check the spacing of the A/C clutch plate on the compressor. It should be 15 - 20 thousandths. When idling the heat created in the engine compartment can cause the metal clutch plate which is engaged by a elector magnet to expand and increase the gap. It's a fairly simple procedure to reset the spacing. You don't have to remove the compressor or lose any refrigerant to do so.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I'll be checking that this week. Will let you know what I find. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals