• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C is working fantastic!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I can only get mine to go down to about 52 degrees. But when it is 95 and humid, 52 is just fine for me.
Have you had your F250's a/c serviced by your dealer at any point? DO you notice any temperature change when your sitting still idling as opposed to driving down the open highway in an adverse way? It should be cooling down to at least 46-50 steadily. I just serviced a 2002 F350 last week during a day with 105-110 heat index, and it cooled to 46, right before the cycling switch cut the compressor off, and even still, it went to 50 or 52 and started cooling back down. If you haven't, i suggest you take it to them and have them check for a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) concerning a revised amount of R-134a.

AS FOR THE REST OF YOU.........No a/c is no problem. My 78 150, 92 expo, and the 88 ranger i drive dont have a/c, but thats why they have windows that work. Thats also why my truck as a Sony head unit in it, so i dont have to listen to the sound of the wind rushing past my ears. Sorry guys, your not gonna convince me that A/C in an automobile is an absolute necessity. (ok so the ranger and expo really do have a/c its just not working, but the expo will be getting it soon. Chicks dont dig wind damaging their hair when you take them out)

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Umm, your air conditioner turns itself off when you mash the throttle. You get the same power with or without it.
And in most cases you need to MASH it too the floor. In Texas AC is a necessity and because I drive a 2.3 power is down with the AC on. I don't like to drive my Ranger with the pedal floored all the time.

I bought my 93 in 95 and in 96 I decided to fix the AC/Acceleration problem. I insatalled a Stewart Warner Vaccuum switch and a relay on the compressor coil. This particular switch is NC at any vaccuum above 9Hg. Below this level it opens and the relay shuts off the compressor.

My truck spends 90% of its time on the interstate and here in Abilene (even during Rush Hour) traffic flows smoothly.

This system has worked flawlessly for over 10-years now.

My 10-cents worth

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For the record, my AC is working flawlessly in this effin' hot humid weather we've been having. What is this, summer or something?

Last summer, I took a trip in my old ranger (no AC) to help a friend move 250 miles away. Two people, a regular cab oven, and 100 deg temps. My poor mitsu tranny decided it didn't like living anymore that weekend. Ever had to rock a truck back and forth to get the tranny to unjam itself in the middle of an intersection? Poor thing....

Enough rambling.

G'night

-krug

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
AS FOR THE REST OF YOU.........No a/c is no problem. My 78 150, 92 expo, and the 88 ranger i drive dont have a/c, but thats why they have windows that work. Thats also why my truck as a Sony head unit in it, so i dont have to listen to the sound of the wind rushing past my ears. Sorry guys, your not gonna convince me that A/C in an automobile is an absolute necessity. (ok so the ranger and expo really do have a/c its just not working, but the expo will be getting it soon. Chicks dont dig wind damaging their hair when you take them out)
It is fine as long as you can stay moving, back when I was in high school it got to 136 fairly regularly inside the cab of my Ranger and it took about 20 min of stop and go to get up to a respectable speed to get some circulation going. I did my time, and I ain't going to go thru it again for a dd if I don't have to.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Having the windows down doesn't do much good just sitting in traffic and even driving about 30 mph around town. Trust me, I drive all day with the windows all the way down and I STILL sweat my ass off. Then again, I've never been very tolerant of hot weather, I do much better during the winter. And even though I could crank the volume to hear the stereo, I would rather not go deaf by the time I'm 23. (And yes, the sound level of just the wind alone at highway speeds is enough to make you go deaf over extended periods of time.) Yea, A/C isn't a necessity for everyone, but it is for me.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AS FOR THE REST OF YOU.........No a/c is no problem. My 78 150, 92 expo, and the 88 ranger i drive dont have a/c, but thats why they have windows that work...Sorry guys, your not gonna convince me that A/C in an automobile is an absolute necessity.

Yeah, I've found that keeping myself plenty hydrated with fluids and having the windows down is usually fine without the need to turn the A/C on. I use the A/C once in a while(still works great!), but for the most part, I save the extra load on the engine and get along without it.

T.

mikemather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A/C works on every setting but "Off"!

I'm glad to see some of you have great working A/C. My problem is it even works on any of the vent settings. The only way the compressor clutch disengages is in the "off" position. The local auto parts guy thought it might be the clutch interrupter switch. A $12 investment proved that wasn't it. Does anyone have any other thoughts or experiences to share?

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
getting the A/C fixed was a good investment:rolleyes:, had it done right before road trip to yellowstone ( from san deigo ) and in 110+ heat, it really is nice to not bake :mad: as you drive down the road

$900 to fix im gonna use it

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
wow i don't think i would have spent $900 for air. i would have suffered. but we did spend $600 on the wifes last car for a/c because it had a habit of eating window regulators.

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
wow i don't think i would have spent $900 for air. i would have suffered. but we did spend $600 on the wifes last car for a/c because it had a habit of eating window regulators.
i thought i was spending $400 because the guy said the compressor was fine, and he was just going to throw a new belt on and charge it. Got a call back and hour later, " uh yea, your compressors bad " So its either i spend $400 dollars and get nothing at all or spend 500 more (new compressor) and get working A/C

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
$500 for a new compressor? Does that count the gold plating?

I bought one for my Exploder for around $200.

If that guy didn't find the compressor leak BEFORE putting 3 lb of R-12 in there, he owes you 3 lb of R-12. Your system has a leak, and if he was claiming there wasn't one, he was wrong. Refrigerant doesn't just vanish or wear out. It leaks. And if there are no obvious external leaks, it's either the compressor or evaporator (those are the components with hidden parts).

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry guys, your not gonna convince me that A/C in an automobile is an absolute necessity.
It depends on where you live and how much driving you do. Driving for hours in 105º heat is exhausting, even with the windows rolled down. Have you ever tried driving in 113º-117º heat? It is miserable.

And in most cases you need to MASH it too the floor. In Texas AC is a necessity and because I drive a 2.3 power is down with the AC on. I don't like to drive my Ranger with the pedal floored all the time.
Both my 1995 4.0 and my 2007 2.3L turn off the a/c under heavy throttle. The 2.3L does it a lot better though.

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
$500 for a new compressor? Does that count the gold plating?

I bought one for my Exploder for around $200.

If that guy didn't find the compressor leak BEFORE putting 3 lb of R-12 in there, he owes you 3 lb of R-12. Your system has a leak, and if he was claiming there wasn't one, he was wrong. Refrigerant doesn't just vanish or wear out. It leaks. And if there are no obvious external leaks, it's either the compressor or evaporator (those are the components with hidden parts).
the compressor didnt leak it had mechanical problems,and he charged it the second time without charge

but still its rediculous

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I drive 14 hours a day. I will not do it with out working A/C, period.... especially when tarping 48,000# of drywall on a 105* afternoon in oklahoma,or untarping kiln dried lumbar in Dallas. If the A/C goes bad the truck parks until the company gets it fixed.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the compressor didnt leak it had mechanical problems,and he charged it the second time without charge

but still its rediculous
OK, I think I see what happened.

That wasn't $500 for a compressor. That was $500 for a compressor and a condenser, flush, and inline filter, which is considerably more reasonable. If you don't do all this, all the grit from the failed compressor will persist in the system and grind up your new compressor in short order.

It's called "Ford Black Death."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals